Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved the progress of my most recent bike to a new thread. It was here as I started to revive a 79 CX500D I had run low on oil
The beginning of this project can be found in this post http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/34282-1979-cx500-blown-engine.html

So I bought this GL500I to use for parts to fix my 79 CX500D and decided I like the GL500 a lot more with the dual brakes, lower ride and rear mono shock
I paid 400$ for the bike in good running condition. Only thing wrong with it was the starter solenoid. Even came with the saddle bags and tail trunk with matching key. Once home I immediately started tearing it down to build it to my taste

From my CX500 I took the carb bodies, the seat I had recently upholstered myself when I had the CX500 running, and the rear brake lever assembly and brake master cylinder. Among other small things like cables, mirrors and what not

To the GL500 I rebuilt the front and rear brakes, painted them, dropped the engine, did a triple bypass and painted it before reinstalling.
Replaced the front head bearing with the All Balls roller bearings
Cut the fender, and painted the bike flat black with a tan stripe to match the seat
Bought all new Triple mode headlight, mini led turn signals and led rear lights. Right now I have the front lights wired up
All that is left is to fab a rear fender and wire the rear lights. Do a few other small things and tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Moved the progress of my most recent bike to a new thread. It was here as I started to revive a 79 CX500D I had run low on oil
The beginning of this project can be found in this post http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/34282-1979-cx500-blown-engine.html

So I bought this GL500I to use for parts to fix my 79 CX500D and decided I like the GL500 a lot more with the dual brakes, lower ride and rear mono shock
I paid 400$ for the bike in good running condition. Only thing wrong with it was the starter solenoid. Even came with the saddle bags and tail trunk with matching key. Once home I immediately started tearing it down to build it to my taste

From my CX500 I took the carb bodies, the seat I had recently upholstered myself when I had the CX500 running, and the rear brake lever assembly and brake master cylinder. Among other small things like cables, mirrors and what not

To the GL500 I rebuilt the front and rear brakes, painted them, dropped the engine, did a triple bypass and painted it before reinstalling.
Replaced the front head bearing with the All Balls roller bearings
Cut the fender, and painted the bike flat black with a tan stripe to match the seat
Bought all new Triple mode headlight, mini led turn signals and led rear lights. Right now I have the front lights wired up
All that is left is to fab a rear fender and wire the rear lights. Do a few other small things and tires!
On the way. if the other side u I 788 I 87877777888I7iiiI 88 I I 77 I I 7i77iii7

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Looks like it's time for some new tires there!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like it's time for some new tires there!
Thats actually the last thing! The bike has been completely gone through. Plan to mount the tires and balance them next week. Welded up a wheel stand using some old skate bearings to balance the tire  I told my boss that the weekend after I get my bike running, I'm not going to be at work ��
Planned tires last since its been in the garage and pushed in the driveway since I've brought it home
Her maiden voyage is going to be a trip to florida

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The saddlebag mounts are shown lacking the cross brace at the rear. If saddlebags are mounted without the cross brace the vibrations on the road will cause the brackets to collapse inward and end up having the saddlebags rubbing against the rear tire. If you are going without saddlebags the bike would look much better without the bag mount brackets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The saddlebag mounts are shown lacking the cross brace at the rear. If saddlebags are mounted without the cross brace the vibrations on the road will cause the brackets to collapse inward and end up having the saddlebags rubbing against the rear tire. If you are going without saddlebags the bike would look much better without the bag mount brackets.
The saddlebags came with the bike with all the hardware in the bags. Ive slowlys started to peice it all back together but sadely not much information is available for the brackets. Ive added more as Ive discivered where they go, but do you have some pictures in case I am missing something?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'd be glad to show you a few of the nicer roads round here, something besides straight. I've attached a picture that shows the cross brace that David is talking about. Vehicle Car Metal

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you guys think a copper line would look better than the plastic line? Maybe spray it black too?
I've come to find out etching primer works excellent on bare metals

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.