Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both the front brakes siezed on me and I took a spill at very low speed. Now the brakes won't repress back and the bike is hard to move. I don't have any experience in brake work. Can someone assess my situation so I can fix the brakes or any other suggestions. I am 15 minutes south of Toledo Ohio. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Well I think I'm going to tell you what Shep doesn't want to tell you. Disconnect the brake hoses from the calipers and take them off. If you are a short distance and low speeds away from home I would carefully ride it there. But I wouldn't ride it any more than that. Then correctly service the calipers, brake hoses and MC.

I have had most of this happen to myself before. Once I was lucky enough just to loosen the bleeder screw and release the tension and just ride home without using the brake any because it may/will lock up again.

Here's a link for you. http://ofapars-.webs.com/twinpots.htm

·
Registered
640 Posts
One or both of your brake calipers are likely filled with junk. Your master cylinder may also have an obstruction. Your motorcycle is nearly 30 year old and it is overdue for a complete front brake overhaul. It's easy, even for a newbie.

You will need two brake caliper rebuild kits and new brake hoses to do it correctly. Of course you'll need brake fluid. Brake fluid can peal paint so beware. If brake pads are worn, you'll need those too. Purchase decent quality (Sears Craftsman or better) metric box end wrenches and sockets.

Now that you have all the stuff, take off one caliper and remove the brake pads. You'll need to get the pistons out by pumping the brake lever. This will push out the pistons but don't let any piston come all the way out. Use a paint stirring stick to prevent this. Now remove the other brake caliper and push out it's pistons. Remove the paint sticks and pop the pistons out completely. Yep, it'll be a mess of gunk filled brake fluid. Clean everything thoroughly, pop in the new piston seals from the rebuild kit, slap it all back together with the new brake hoses, clean the master cylinder, bleed the system, and you're done. Simple!

Seriously, we're here to help every step of the way. You can do this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.