Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just got my first bike today. A 1982 GL500 Silverwing. It seems to be in pretty goos shape, needs rear brakes to pass inspection in Pennsylvania. Can anyone give me advise on what to watch for? Potential problems?

RobV

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rob. And when you get a chance, fill out your location and put your bike's model in the signature line. I would suggest that you completely read or at least skim all the topics in the Quick Reference thread of the General Discussion forum. That will answer most all of your questions and then some.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Robv - Welcome to the forum. There are many post here on the subject of "hey - just got a 'new' old CX". All the information you could imagine is available via a little browsing.

- check tires. Dry rotted tires wear very fast and are, of course, very unsafe.

- check (and change) all fluids. The PO (previous owner) may or may not have taken proper care of the bike.

- lights all working properly?

Poke around and let us know what specific questions you have. Many experts here, and they are all more than willing to assist where possible.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, one thing you may want to look into is the Pro-link linkage. The bushings inside will go dry over time and need to be re-greased. I would use Honda only grease because of the correct moly content. Mine wasn't squeaking, I just decided to do a PM but when I got it apart it was bone dry. Regreasing and smoothing out the bushings actually improved the ride.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

If you don't already have one, be sure to download a copy of the Honda factory service manual for your bike. See any of Blindstitch's posts for the link. Then go through the lube and maintenance sections in chapters 2 and 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.