Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I wrecked my 1982 honda gl500 2 summers ago and have finally got it running again. Unfortunately due to the recent cold weather i snapped the choke cable off just below the metal plug and my throttle is stuck wide open. I have adjusted the throttle via the choke mechanism so that it is not stuck that way, but now I have no use of my choke. I am wondering, since the part by Honda has been discontinued, if anyone knows where I can find a replacement, (preferrably new) either a Honda part of one that will fit it. So far I haven't had any luck with sites like Partzilla and JPcycles. Please Help!!!!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
try e bay or oh i cant remember i m sure that u wlil get it a search that finds any part almost any where in the world i just used it to find some parts at steves spares in england u could look there (steves) site google is ur friend see yhe next post i stand corrected its silvers

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
I'm unsure where you say it broke. Can you explain that better? At the top where the knob is or at the carb body connection? The choke cable assemblies should be available, I've seen them several places. I would think David Silver Spares would have them.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, it broke near the top of the assembly (just distal the knob mount) on the actual cable, not the metal that attaches to the plastic knob

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
I looked at David Silvers, and couldn't see one. Depending where you are (add that to your profile please, along with bike details to your signature), THIS UK LINK might provide relief for a new pattern part. It's not a technical part really....as long as dimensionally correct.
Where yours broke is not fixable. I assume the holding bracket on the instrument cluster is not broken?

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the problems I am having finding this specific part is I'm not sure exactly what choke cables are the same in the Honda lines. I am finding a lot of cables that say that they fit the GL1100s but say nothing about the 500s. I really just need to know if certain bikes have the same cable specs, which would help me broaden my search parameters

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a bunch of cables for CX500's in Ebay. I don't know it they are different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan,
I cannot find anything on GL500 Silverwing choke cables on that site... Am I just blind or something?

·
Registered
213 Posts
What is it that you need to know?
John.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts