Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda Silverwing GL500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey guys. So, I have the left carb apart right now and noticed that the jet under the rubber plug isn’t open all the way thru. I am trying to use a carb jet cleaner wire to open it up. Tips? It’s really stuck, whatever is in there. I am assuming it’s part of the old rubber plug that liquified from sitting with gas in it. It was all over the bowl prior to my scraping it off. Also, am I correct when I put the 112 jet over the main needle and the 78 in the other spot? Let me know. Thanks. TM

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
You shouldn't see all the way through the idle jet when it's in place. It feeds the venturi via cross passages to the main circuits.
Have you had the brass emulsion tube out of there? The are several ports in the tube that are likely plugged.
It looks like the vacuum slide is still installed on that carb. Did you strip down the top side to clean it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hi. Yes, I’ve had the vac slide out and cleaned. Moves smoothly. The clogged jet that was under the rubber plug is out on the bench and I cannot see thru it. I checked the right carb jet and i can see thru that one. When I spray carb cleaner into the hole under the plug, it comes out thru the cross tube, so that is clear. TM

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
So, it's the tube itself that's blocked? Sorry, I misunderstood.
In his "Guide to Rebuilding the Keihin CX/GL Carburetors," Larry indicates a .018" drill for clearing the center hole in the low jet (emulsion tube.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
hey Randall, I can see thru it! Sweet! Soaked it in break cleaner for a few minutes. I am going to reassemble it now. I am going to turn the mixture screws out 2 1/2 when i reassemble. Is that correct? TM

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Check the FSM. I think 2 1/2 is initial, but they get adjusted from that.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Big into brass, small into aluminum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok quick question. Upon reassemble, I am trying to remember where the vac lines went. There is a port on the lower air box that is connected to the blow by tube in the engine, then there is a second tube coming off that lower box. Where does it go to? I also have a tube coming off the upper box that goes where?? Shoulda took a pic. TM

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,039 Posts
Does this help? The chamber below the airbox is the separator (vapours rise into the airbox, liquids collect in the tube until you remove the plug to drain it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Temps on left are a few degrees cooler. Increase mixture screw to match?

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
21 - 40 of 54 Posts