Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

I stumbled upon a 1978 cx500 (according to the seller's description).

In fact, I'm not even sure his own description is accurate. Looks like somebody who wants to get rid of an old bike laying around.

(Quick translation here: MUST SELL FAST!!! Model: Honda cx500, Price is negotiable. For those who are interested: Keys are lost, no paper. Then some generic wikipedia-ish mumbo jumbo)

From my POV, the bike looks a little like a cx500 custom, but those weren't in production in 1978 if i'm not wrong. (Maybe a 1979?) Can't identify that tank with a silver lining either. Still has the cx500 custom kind of shape. Bars look from a Custom, too. The pictures I found of the 1978 cx500 obviously look nothing like this bike.

Seeking your help for maybe more info, based on your knowledge and/or experience. Already PM'd the owner, just waiting for them to answer.

Bike looks in a pretty bad shape. But I've been looking for a spare-part-bike for a while now, and this one is crazy cheap.
There are not much cx500 near me, so parts are hard to find locally.
IF this is actually a 1978 cx500, is there a significant amount of parts I could use on my 1982 cx500 custom? Is there such a list on the Internet?

I know all the electronics are to forget.
What about the rad/water-cooling system, main engine, carbs, seat, luggage rack, comstars... everything else!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,877 Posts
The bike will be a 79 onwards. You are correct that there was no 500C in 78.

The chrome trim on the tank is likely car door edging. I've seen it used this way a number of times.

Many parts will interchange but your 82 has a different ignition system.

All the parts on your list will interchange - with the ignition caveat - but this too has workarounds.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
Is that the 81 front end. Also that Mac 2 into 1 exhaust doesn't look bad. I think I paid something around $300 USD for mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts