Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
The diode itself can only fail 2 ways and when it fails it won't start working again (that's the nature of semiconductors). They do not become intermittent.
I would look for a problem in the clutch switch. It sounds to me like it is not returning to the open circuit condition when you release the lever.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
The diode itself can only fail 2 ways and when it fails it won't start working again (that's the nature of semiconductors). They do not become intermittent.
I was a semiconductor FA engineer for many years and that is the silliest comment I have ever heard

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
below is one of the most common intermittent IC failures known to the industry. The "stitch) bond to the external lead is FUBAR and very temp sensitive Ie. on/off. Ball bonds to the IC can also exhibit the same temp sensitivity if the bond is not done correctly. Moisture incursion can also create intermittent failures.

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
I'm talking discrete components, not ICs. I seriously doubt that a diode potted into a big case like the ones on these bikes could ever act like that.

Besides, I can't see any way that a diode failure could cause his problem but a clutch switch could easily cause that and do it intermittently.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts