Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can give me direction on an issue I'm having. I have a 1982 CX500 that won't run. When I first got it the bike ran, but only idle. It wouldn't run when you gave it throttle. I checked compression and it's on the low side (110 matching), but it should still be acceptable for running, right?
I pulled the injectors and had them sent to a company that specializes in cleaning them. I have a full report back with pictures from the shop.
I put the injectors back in and now nothing. I have gone back and forth on this bike for a month now and I'm not making any headway? I changed the oil, as I'm sure trying to start it over and over has flooded it with fuel. I took the plugs out and hit the throttle, just to make sure I was getting fuel. It actually throws fuel a good 2ft out of the plug holes?!?! It seems wrong to me? I'm sure the fuel is way too much and it's just flooding the cylinder causing the plug to foul.

Does anyone have experience on this, what I should look for, what I should do next??? I know the injectors are pulsing, but the fuel it's throwing out is massive. Could it be the CDI? Do I need to look further into the injectors, replace them? I'm hoping you all can shed some light on my issue.

TY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm not following? Does this bike have a computer bus that I can connect to? It's getting spark. I just didn't know it had a module that you can plug into and if so where is it? How do I plug into it?

TY

·
Registered
83 Posts
Highly recommend getting the OEM service manuals for mechanical and electrical. Without these, very easy to go down the proverbial "rabbit hole" quickly, and the manuals answer a lot of questions.

This system is similar to the one on my '85 Limited Edition FI model in that the FUEL SYSTEM light is actually a check engine light and has nothing to do with the fuel supply system. Honda used FUEL SYSTEM as the name because this relates to the FI system. There should also be a low fuel level light as well. The FUEL SYSTEM indicator light when on lets the operator know that there is an electrical fault in the FI system - the ECU is not sensing a signal or the signal is out of spec from one of the sensors/parts in the FI system. You have to look at the indicator lights on the side of the ECU to determine what the fault or faults are. When the light is on, do not turn the key switch off because the ECU does not store the error code(s), and you will have to restart/turn on the key for the error code to reappear.

The fuel supply system up to the injectors (injectors and injector fault(s) are part of the FI system) that you have mentioned is a separate system, not related to the FUEL SYSTEM indicator light. It is tested separately from the FI system. The specs are in the manual.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts