Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am back, originally I wanted to work on this bike with my friend but he was over because it was his but he never got around to it and after some time he ended up giving me the bike. So what I have here is a 1982 cx500 custom that I would like to turn into a cafe/brat. I've already been taking things off here and there but with me being here in Wisconsin, I do not want to work in the cold. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have done so far is take the tank off and take out the carbs and this is how she stands right now. Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Engine

When going through the carbs, everything seemed fine but I am having a hard time getting to one carb because the screws are stripped! Any suggestions on how I should go about getting these screws out so I can get in there and clean everything out? I also have a similarly stripped screw on the side of the radiator cover that I would like to remove which hopefully can be removed the same way. Bicycle saddle Metal

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Drill it and use an easy out search on YouTube the following. Screw extractor | easyout | broken bolt removal
ByUltimate Handyman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks! I'll be doing that later this week but in the mean time I'm going to continue the tear down so I can get the frame sand blasted and repainted.
This right here is the reason why I want to do that.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

The rest of the frame is just fine. It's just that one spot that is going to drive me mad!

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
if you are talking about the slide top screw you can grab them and loosen them with a good small pair if vice grips then they will come out

your frame paint has been acid etched from a battery cracking and the acid leaking all over the frame

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I figured, I just got the bike for free so I'm fine with having to do a little extra work to make it look pretty haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of taking everything off of the bike and going through that hassle, would it be easier to just sand down that section and repaint it or should I keep with the plan and do the whole thing? It's only that section that has some rust most likely to a previous battery as Murrayf said.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do it right the first time. Too much chance for wicked overspray and that just patched look.

Tell me about your saddle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it right the first time. Too much chance for wicked overspray and that just patched look.

Tell me about your saddle.
Yeah you're right, when I'm done with this bike I want to be done done. I don't know what the backstory is for the saddle but I'm not a big fan of it.
When I get much further in the project I would like to get a seat like the one on this bike
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Does anybody know of anybody that might be able to make such a seat for me further down the road?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update, I really started some tear down today. Took the rear fender off, started taking electrical out, took out the air box which was the biggest pain in the ass that I have had to deal with.
I also made up a model seat to make some dimensions to get a seat made!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah you're right, when I'm done with this bike I want to be done done. I don't know what the backstory is for the saddle but I'm not a big fan of it.
looks like a dyna off a harley. pretty common mod done by some, ive never been much of a fan of it either however ive never sat on one to really draw an opinion on function.

the seat you like is fairly simple to DIY if your so inclined, theres numerous info out there about seat making if you google it and even some threads on this forum.

if your not feelin handy and money is no factor, any decent upholsterer could easily fabricate a seat pad/cover/seat. the only question is how you plan to attach it

NIEDS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That seat was comfortable when I did use it to get the bike running but I need a seat for two people so I can take the ladies with ;) and I found a style I like so I'm having a person from motorcycle seats direct who is going to use a stock seat pan and make it to the dimensions I sent him. I will post the file I made on here so that if there is somebody that wants to do a similar thing, it will be easier for them to find out what they need to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update here, Took all of the electronics off (I plan on rewiring the bike as far as starting and lighting but I'll be leaving the engine management alone). Next step would be to drop the engine so I can take everything else off so that I can get the frame sand blasted then powdercoated.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

My main concern would be if draining the oil in the engine and taking the coolant out would harm anything while I have this done. Here in Wisconsin it is and will be sticking around below 32 degrees. Should I wait till it's warmer to drain everything or would doing everything now not harm anything?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts