Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a road bike in the spring and have the opportunity to buy an 82 CX500 Custom for ~$200 from a family friend. I've ridden track and trial for a while, but have not owned a road bike, if you think this isn't a good first road bike let me know and I'll look into other options. I'm 6' about 185lbs, long arms and legs.

The bike starts and runs, but that's all I know. I have experience with working on cars and small engines, but have not worked on anything older than 1990. My questions are:

Is this worth it, or will I spend more time in the garage than I will riding?
In case something breaks, how hard are parts to find, how expensive are parts?
What should I look for when inspecting the bike? I know there is a long list, but is there anything specific that I should look out for?
If you don't think this is an ideal first bike, are there any suggestions? I feel like this is blasphemous to say in this forum, but I've been looking at a Suzuki GS500 as well. (Don't hate me)

I realize I'm not giving you much to work with here, so any insight is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,468 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,000 Posts
Excellent price , and a good first road bike , if you can afford it buy both, why choose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts