Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I bought a 1982 CX500 Custom last week and it is my first bike. When I bought the bike it was working perfectly fine, even rode it 45 mins back home with no issues. Throughout the week I kept turning it on and riding it around the neighborhood. One day I took off the tank and the seat because the tank needed to be stripped and repainted. Once everything was done I put everything back, made sure everything was back the way it should be and it didn't start. The battery had died so charged it up and nothing. The dash turns on as well as the lights but when I go to start it....it just keeps cranking but doesn't turn over. Checked everything I could think of. Even had a buddy who knows more about these things than I do. He looked at the gas pipes and vacuum line, checked the spark plugs and wiring connected to them, checked the power to make sure it was actually going through to the spark plugs, checked the wiring and did a compression test also. Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello-

I bought a 1982 CX500 Custom last week and it is my first bike. When I bought the bike it was working perfectly fine, even rode it 45 mins back home with no issues. Throughout the week I kept turning it on and riding it around the neighborhood. One day I took off the tank and the seat because the tank needed to be stripped and repainted. Once everything was done I put everything back, made sure everything was back the way it should be and it didn't start. The battery had died so charged it up and nothing. The dash turns on as well as the lights but when I go to start it....it just keeps cranking but doesn't turn over. Checked everything I could think of. Even had a buddy who knows more about these things than I do. He looked at the gas pipes and vacuum line, checked the spark plugs and wiring connected to them, checked the power to make sure it was actually going through to the spark plugs, checked the wiring and did a compression test also. Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There is no "Low Oil Level" cutout on these machines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike is a 1979 Honda CX 500C. I have a small oil leak on the plug. A low oil red light came on mine and it will not start till I put more oil I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My also show the red oil light when i put the key in the ignition but goes away when I was riding it....not sure if that might be something? I
sounds like a fuel delivery issue. You can remove the vacuum port screws on the carb intakes, spray a bit of starting fluid and see if it starts momentarily.
I'll go ahead and try this today and see if this works.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
That is a low oil pressure light, not oil level. Running with low oil pressure will ruin the engine in short order.
It is normal for the oil pressure warning light to be on before the engine starts and to go out as soon as the engine is running.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do the basic trouble shooting first.... Air, Spark, Fuel, Compression.

We are assuming compression, because it was a running bike. And Air should be a no brainer as well. So check to make sure you have spark. Pull a spark plug and hold it against a bolt on the rocker cover (something to make sure it is grounded) and see if there is spark. My suspicion is that there will be, but we are isolating the issue.

That leaves fuel.... squirting starting fluid will also verify that the others are present as well.

The other suggestions are pointing you along the lines of Fuel, mainly because you pulled the tank. I would verify that the petcock is allowing fuel to flow. You may have gotten debris in there while you were stripping the tank. Verify what petcock you have (vacuum vs non- vacuum) and make sure that fuel is flowing. Follow the fuel line from the petcock to the fuel filter if you have one and make sure that you get fuel to flow while in the ON position. You can direct it into a container to collect the fuel so it doesn't get on the rest of the bike.

if no fuel is flowing, then you could have a clogged petcock, or if a vacuum version, hooked up the vacuum lines incorrectly.

HTH.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In the video you can see the switch is in the "on" position.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The simplest way to check for fuel flow is opening the drain screws.
When you sprayed the tank, did you plug the fuel outlet? More than likely, the screen remained in place when you removed the petcock. That could easily have filled with paint if it weren't masked.

Randall

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just made a test fuel tank this past weekend for a few dollars. Ketchup squeeze bottle from dollar tree and a few feet of 5/16" tubing from auto store. Put in fuel (poke a small hole approx mid way up the bottle for vent), turn it upside down - start engine. Lets you know the engine will start/run.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
You still haven't verified fuel flow.
Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and check for flow there.
If you have the stock vacuum petcock, blowing in the vent line will open the valve and allow fuel to flow.
If it doesn't, try the line attached to the right carb. If that works, the vent and vacuum lines have been reversed.

Randall

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mario, My 82 did the exact thing, rebuilt the carbs and it runs like new now, but of course make sure your getting fuel to the carbs from the petcock hose. I always advocate for good working carbs before anything as the motors are pretty reliable.. but the carbs can be fussy at times.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
'82 should have a vacuum fuel shut off. When you took the tank off you had to disconnect the vacuuum line to the fuel shut off. Did you put it back on???

·
Registered
497 Posts
You still haven't verified fuel flow.
That's what i was getting at when i mentioned the test fuel tank, verify the engine/carbs run ok, if the do, then troubleshoot the no fuel flow from tank to carbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts