Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A new bike has recently come into my life. An '82 CX500 Custom. Stepson just bought this from a guy who had it as a starter bike. It looks sharp, obviously kept inside and has been maintained well.

Previous owner said he had a guy rebuild the carbs, but that he wasn't totally happy with the result as it hesitates in the low end. Running with the choke on 1/3 makes it better. The obvious things seems to be to adjust the pilot jet screw. A quick look at the carbs yesterday reveals a funny little screw on the bottom of the carbs with a lobe on one side that can be turned about a 1/2 turn in either direction!? Is this the pilot jet adjustment? It seems odd that it's rotation is limited.

So is this the pilot jet adjustment?

If not what the heck is it?

If it is the adjustment is a half turn either way really enough to do anything?

Thanks Much!
Yertman

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I believe the screw you are referring to is the fuel ratio screw (has a cap that limits adjustment to only about 1/2 turn). From working on these bikes I would say rebuild the carbs as they are probably not done right (dirty) and probably not synced properly. Very few mechanics have a clue how to properly service these carbs, so I would recommend getting a rebuild kit and Larrys book (shows the PROPER way to clean these [link in my signature]) and doing them yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Thank you. From reading here it looks like it will be worth making a tool to balance the carbs and also adjust the pilot jets. I am hopeful that will get it running right for the season. Will take your advice on the carb kits and Larry's book if that doesn't do it.

I can't find any reference to this ratio adjustment screw. What exactly does it do?

Thanks
Yertman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts