Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks to the forum, I was able to get the bike to engage the clutch and I could shift. Need some new springs, but I drove it around the block, which is amazing since I had never done this level of mechanical work before.

there are problems. One, I have some coolant leaking that needs figuring out. Two, I realized the I used the 78 heads on the 82 engine. It all works fine except the 78 have the cyclinder breather tube which the 83 did not. Is it worth switch over?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I take it the white smoke I see from them is ok? It just a little lite white smoke

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
A few steps forward and one backward. First, I decided to remove the electric fan that was welded to the radiator. If was hitting the mounting point, so I decided to mount it independently. Not great, but it will work. I got the new clutch springs and put them in, and now the clutch it better. I took the bike around the block to test, so that's a positive.

On the negative side, i have a small oil leak on the front of the engine. Not sure from where yet, but will investigate. Hoping its something easy and quick, but it also means removing the radiator for the 10,000s time, joy! The other thing i found, and i need to check, is when i drove the bike, it felt like it wasn't able to be fully open. Like something was folding it back when i gave it gas. I was able to get up to 30mph in 2nd gear, but it still feels odd. I'm going to check if the cluck cable is not set correctly and maybe it causing it to feel that way. Not sure, but any suggestions for things to look at would be appreciated.

IMG_1451.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Did some more testing today, and found a few more things that needed fixing. One, i have a small head gasket leak on the inside back corner of the left cylinder. I have a pair of OEM gaskets that I may switch to over the aftermarket ones that are in there. I took the cylinder head cover off and found the two of my valve gap screws had come off. Not sure how. Anyway, read did the gaps on both sides and checked other things.

So, head gasket replacement/fix and we will try again. It looks like that is the coolant leak we were seeing, I hope.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts