Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 1982 CX500 for my son and I to try to restore. I have been picking up some missing parts, and so far so good. What I'm still looking for are the right hand controls. The bike didn't come with them.

Since the 1982 is a TI and not CDI, I need to find a GL or other model button that will work. Anyone have any suggestions of a year and model pick that have compatible controls? I also was wondering about wiring harnesses suggestions. The wiring seems to have been sliced and cut and I"m not sure why.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its time for an update. My son and I have been busy taking apart that bike as you can see from the photos....

Couple of things I found out that during this process.

IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

1. 1982 CX500 need to have the advance retard rotor screw in order to remove the back cover. Found that on the forum after struggling for a few hours on why the cover wouldn't come off.

IMG_1728.JPG

2. Sometime your really have to hit your cylinder head in order to get them off. Took me about ten minutes of pounding per side to get them to come loose.

So... Now some questions.

1. I found what i would describe as brown goo in the water pump impeller.... Normal or worrisome? Once I took the cover off you can see what I found behind it.
IMG_1720.JPG

2. Left piston had crap in it. Not sure what it is... Again, how concern should i be not that I can clean it and redo the seals? I have the right side pictures as well, just for comparison.
IMG_1735.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1738.JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, i found a small crack in one of my cylinder head covers. Do I need a new one or can I just bound it with something? JB weld?

·
Super Moderator
20,304 Posts
The gunge around the mech seal is normal for a motor in use for extended periods. It is probably from both seals {oil and coolant} leaking a tiny amount. Just clean it up - you'll be replacing those seals anyway.

As long as the bores clean up the [email protected] there is also of little concern.

I'd replace the cover, but you could JB weld it I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CXPHREAK. Any suggestions for engine parts cleaner? What are people using to soak their carbs? What about cleaning internal parts of the engine?

·
Super Moderator
20,304 Posts
I mainly just use kerosene and then go after the stubborn stuff with dishwashing liquid and a stainless steel scourer. I soak carbs in a 50/50 mix of acrylic laquer paint thinners and acetone. Search the site for more on carb cleaning. These keihins are finicky, especially in the idle circuits.

I use kero on the internals too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... check out the engine, it looks like I need to replace the timing chain.. joy...

IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1755.JPG

Also, while I was taking the cylinder heads off, i had the transmission cover off and these two items go loose. I have no idea what they are or where they go..

IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1750.JPG

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
So... check out the engine, it looks like I need to replace the timing chain.. joy...
Not a big deal, as you're there already.

Also, while I was taking the cylinder heads off, i had the transmission cover off and these two items go loose. I have no idea what they are or where they go..

View attachment 50089 View attachment 50097
Oil metering nozzle. It sits behind the front cover, upper right (relative to the seated rider). Small end forward. It has an o-ring around it.

Clutch thrust bearing. It sits in the four-legged bracket on the front of the clutch assembly. There's a short flanged rod that pushes against it when the lever is moved.

I recommend you download the FSM and a parts manual. They've each saved me tons of headaches.

R

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.. its been a while. I've finally managed to breakdown the engine to the point we can start rebuilding it.

Here are some pics of where we are now at.
IMG_2212 (1).JPG
IMG_2218 (1).JPG
IMG_2219 (1).JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do have another issue. I'm having problems removed the 27mm nut holding the water pump impeller on to the cam shaft. Question, do I need to remove it?

·
Super Moderator
20,304 Posts
That 27 mm nut doesn't hold the impeller on. The impeller nut only has a 10 mm head. The 27 mm nut retains the sprocket boss to the camshaft and I gather this is what you're trying to remove. I use either a ring spanner or long reach socket as you need to be careful not to break the back end off of the cam shaft.

You only need to remove this nut if you are removing the camshaft anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Long time without an update. I have finally gotten back to the bike. I closed up the engine and now its time for the electrical. Being that this was a former parts bike, I've come across some interesting things. For one, no starter solenoid or fused. I was going to buy a basic solenoid but also bought one with the build it 30a because I hope this will make it easier on me. Anyone else have a 82 CX TI that can share some electrical info. Not much out there. The GL is different and so is the CDI.

IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
What head gaskets did you use during the reassembly, OEM Honda or aftermarket? If aftermarket do several retorques of the head bolts. If you have a copy of the factory service manual it will have your wiring diagram. The factory service manual is available from the Wiki, link in my signature line. Read post 8 in this thread; https://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/65441-head-gasket-question.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know if I can use the GL500 controls and wiring harness for the 82 TI CX500? I just bought controls from a used CDI, and then realized that the kill switch won't work. If anyone has more info about 82 TI CX500 that would be great. It feels like I need some GL parts if I can't find an 82. Makes for fun electrical stuff.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts