Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi eveyone,

I just got a new bike about two weeks ago, it's a beauty. 1981 Honda GL500I. I was starting her up every once in a while and she started right up. I go to start her up this morning and the engine isn't even trying to turn over anymore. After I turn the engine switch to run and press the starter button i just hear a click and nothing, choke is one and nothing happens. Someone told me it might be a fuse but all the electrics are all on lights and everything. Started up on monday now nothing. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Unless it gets ridden for a decent amount of time, the battery may have discharged. Just starting it and letting it run idle for a few minutes won't charge it enough. It will still have juice for the lights, but the starter needs quite a bit, as do the spark units. If you don't have a charger/tender, best get one, or get a new battery all together.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yup, I'd check the battery first. If it's more than a few years old you will need to keep it topped off. It won't hurt to check the fuses and do the blade fuse mod as well (Click Here). Also run through this checklist (Click Here) to make sure your stator is working properly. You may want to change your plugs as well.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
+1 battery

May I ask why you were starting it up without riding it? I'd have to echo ramprat here. I know when I got mine (before the insurance and plates) I'd start it up too- but mine would be on the center stand and I'd run it through the gears to get used to it (it's my first bike). I think it was roughly 2 weeks I had it before I had it out on the road...

BTW- welcome in! You might want to take a few mins to update your profile to reflect your bike in the signature line and add your location to your profile. There might be someone nearby who can help you or even just ride with you. There's a wealth of knowledge here so ask any questions you may have- there's sure to be someone (or a few someones) who can answer it!

~MK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.