Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Those beefy gold anodized forks look really nice on your bike. A heater and espresso (or insert energy drink of choice) go a long way to help out in the winter! Nice progress, keep the pics coming.
Thanks! Really looking forward to when I can get those forks properly mounted. Unfortunately for me, All Balls doesn't have the conversion kit for the Speed Triple (only the Street Triple) fork, so it looks like I'm going to have to math it out.

-Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hit a bit of a roadblock with the 40-year-old gaskets that are basically fused to the front cover, so if anyone has any insight on how to get that off easily, I'm all ears!
I hit this problem on my first CX and the solution I was told was using a razor blade to scrape the gasket off the surface, being careful not to knick the aluminum!

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Use gasket remover or paint stripper, use a scraper carefully, finish of with a whetstone kept flat on the surface; you do not want to round off the edges.

Reactions: nthomas33

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
even tho this is a CX forum Ive noted other interesting machines in your pics......(y)..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I hit this problem on my first CX and the solution I was told was using a razor blade to scrape the gasket off the surface, being careful not to knick the aluminum!
Use gasket remover or paint stripper, use a scraper carefully, finish of with a whetstone kept flat on the surface; you do not want to round off the edges.
Thanks for the insight fellas!

even tho this is a CX forum Ive noted other interesting machines in your pics......(y)..
I wish I could take credit for any more than just the CX and the Focus ST haha. The CB750A lurking in the background is a good friend of mine who's also working on a full overhaul, and hiding behind the largest Waverunner I've ever seen, is my other buddy's Evo IX rally project. Always been a big car guy (actually work at a performance aftermarket company) and I'm finally making the jump to bikes. I gotta say motos are SO much easier :LOL:

More to come on Thursday! The plan is to get that front cover all cleaned up and re installed. I'm debating on if it would be worth it to also do a clutch job while the engine is dropped. Allegedly there's only 12k miles on the bike (or so it says on the title) so probably not?

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Just a bump with a quick update from Thursday. I started with just doing a dry fit on the new rear wheel, and made sure our Australian friends could see it in the correct orientation for once :)

And then finished up the night with getting it down to the frame (tuskanraider.wav):

I'm still waiting on my rear hoop, but once that arrives, it's off to the welder's.

-Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like you're having fun with your build, keep up the good work!

Just curious, I know you've been over to JC's awesome MotoFaction...are you planning on doing a 3x (or 4x) bypass on the motor? It does complicate the build a bit, but really goes a LONG way to keep the old bikes going strong.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Looks like you're having fun with your build, keep up the good work!

Just curious, I know you've been over to JC's awesome MotoFaction...are you planning on doing a 3x (or 4x) bypass on the motor? It does complicate the build a bit, but really goes a LONG way to keep the old bikes going strong.
I have peeked at some of those procedures, and I'm on the fence. I know it was already running pretty strong when I took it off the bike, but also, it's one of those things that I'd rather do now while the engine is up on a work bench. Pretty much everything on the front side is getting done, new gasket and O-rings, since that was already spewing oil, but I do have some time until the frame is back from welding, so I might end up taking a look into it. I just don't want to spend another 3 hours scraping off 2 gaskets again haha.

But also, a quick update! I dropped the frame off on Saturday at the welder's! Probably a few weeks til I get it back because of the cold (hopefully sooner than that). Inching ever closer to having a running bike again!

-Nick

61 - 68 of 68 Posts