Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
That's what the 7v regulator is for in the stock design. It knocks the variable 11v-14v in the system down to a consistent 7v.
Ah, now it all makes sense! I always wondered what the deal was with the 7 volt reg on the temp gauge, thanks Randall!

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's what the 7v regulator is for in the stock design. It knocks the variable 11v-14v in the system down to a consistent 7v.
Right, but the new temp gauge isn't a 7V like the original. Since it's aftermarket (both the gauge and the sending unit), that 7V regulator isn't setup for them.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Would it be easy to set up a 12 volt regulator for the gauge? Or get use to how the reading fluctuates with engine rpm.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Would it be easy to set up a 12 volt regulator for the gauge? Or get use to how the reading fluctuates with engine rpm.
The fluctuation is only when revving, and it's like 1 or 2 needle widths. So small to me to bother with, but popping in a regulator wouldn't be difficult at all. I just didn't find a need.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I used an M16x1.5MM to 1/8 NPT adapter to screw the new temp sensor that came with the gauge into the old temp sensor port. Right up next to the thermostat. :) I'd say the /only/ issue I have with the temp gauge is that when you rev the bike, the temp goes up from the voltage. I mean, it's cheap, but it gives me an idea of where I should be.

Roger that, thanks for the insight!

-Nick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey Y'all!

Hope everyone had a good turkey day! Just a small update, since rear brake parts have started to arrive!

New (to me) rear Wheel thanks to a 1982 CB900:

Plan is to go full matte or gloss black (haven't decided on how shiney I want it yet).

Also picked up the CB900 Axle, which IDK if it's actually going to fit in the places I need it to fit. Also pictured my very dirty Caliper:

VERY dirty:

It's going to get a full overhaul before going on the bike obviously. Caliper mounting bracket is still en route and should arrive this weekend

I also picked this up, since I have no idea how to mount the master cylinder yet:

Will it fit? Most likely not.

Next steps: Figure out a master cylinder and mounting location. Find a spot to work on the bike over the winter (Philly sidewalk in the cold is less than ideal).

If anyone has any rear brake master cylinder model or mounting recs, I'm all ears! Also, Ideas on an axle spacer too would be appreciated

-Nick

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
When I was considering a rear disc conversion, I assumed I would activate the mc with the lever on the left end of the brake pedal shaft. You'll probably be retaining that shaft to hold the pedal, anyway, and it will put the mc on the same side as the caliper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When I was considering a rear disc conversion, I assumed I would activate the mc with the lever on the left end of the brake pedal shaft. You'll probably be retaining that shaft to hold the pedal, anyway, and it will put the mc on the same side as the caliper.

Oooh, ok, yeah I didn't even think of that. Seems like a much better option for mounting for sure

-Nick

41 - 49 of 49 Posts