Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That's what the 7v regulator is for in the stock design. It knocks the variable 11v-14v in the system down to a consistent 7v.
Ah, now it all makes sense! I always wondered what the deal was with the 7 volt reg on the temp gauge, thanks Randall!

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's what the 7v regulator is for in the stock design. It knocks the variable 11v-14v in the system down to a consistent 7v.
Right, but the new temp gauge isn't a 7V like the original. Since it's aftermarket (both the gauge and the sending unit), that 7V regulator isn't setup for them.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Would it be easy to set up a 12 volt regulator for the gauge? Or get use to how the reading fluctuates with engine rpm.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Would it be easy to set up a 12 volt regulator for the gauge? Or get use to how the reading fluctuates with engine rpm.
The fluctuation is only when revving, and it's like 1 or 2 needle widths. So small to me to bother with, but popping in a regulator wouldn't be difficult at all. I just didn't find a need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I used an M16x1.5MM to 1/8 NPT adapter to screw the new temp sensor that came with the gauge into the old temp sensor port. Right up next to the thermostat. :) I'd say the /only/ issue I have with the temp gauge is that when you rev the bike, the temp goes up from the voltage. I mean, it's cheap, but it gives me an idea of where I should be.

Roger that, thanks for the insight!

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey Y'all!

Hope everyone had a good turkey day! Just a small update, since rear brake parts have started to arrive!

New (to me) rear Wheel thanks to a 1982 CB900:

Plan is to go full matte or gloss black (haven't decided on how shiney I want it yet).

Also picked up the CB900 Axle, which IDK if it's actually going to fit in the places I need it to fit. Also pictured my very dirty Caliper:

VERY dirty:

It's going to get a full overhaul before going on the bike obviously. Caliper mounting bracket is still en route and should arrive this weekend

I also picked this up, since I have no idea how to mount the master cylinder yet:

Will it fit? Most likely not.

Next steps: Figure out a master cylinder and mounting location. Find a spot to work on the bike over the winter (Philly sidewalk in the cold is less than ideal).

If anyone has any rear brake master cylinder model or mounting recs, I'm all ears! Also, Ideas on an axle spacer too would be appreciated

-Nick

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
When I was considering a rear disc conversion, I assumed I would activate the mc with the lever on the left end of the brake pedal shaft. You'll probably be retaining that shaft to hold the pedal, anyway, and it will put the mc on the same side as the caliper.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When I was considering a rear disc conversion, I assumed I would activate the mc with the lever on the left end of the brake pedal shaft. You'll probably be retaining that shaft to hold the pedal, anyway, and it will put the mc on the same side as the caliper.

Oooh, ok, yeah I didn't even think of that. Seems like a much better option for mounting for sure

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Finally can bump this thread with an update!

Basically I've done nothing for the last two months being that I have nowhere to work on the bike atm. Philly sidewalk in the cold is not ideal. That all is going to change soon, since I'll be taking the bike down to my friend's garage in Jersey, ANNND, I received a lovely large box today:

I'll post some more pics once I get it home and I'm not causing a racket with the million pieces of styrofoam. Any guesses? :D

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh, you BETCHA

I opted for a 2005-2007 Triumph Speed Triple fork. I'm not sure about the stem, but plenty of ways around that. Love the wheel style AND that I can still use standard bars.

Hoping to get this to my buddy's garage ASAP to get started!

-Nick

·
Registered
24,313 Posts
just had a quick look through your build thread i have not seen it before looks good

btw you have the left carb on the right side and the right side carb on the left

when they are turned around both idle screws (brass with the spring )will face out to make it easy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
just had a quick look through your build thread i have not seen it before looks good

btw you have the left carb on the right side and the right side carb on the left

when they are turned around both idle screws (brass with the spring )will face out to make it easy
Thanks Murray! I'll note that down for whenever the reassembly phase comes along.

Getting closer to actually digging in. I have access to a trailer now, so hopefully by next week it'll be moved down to the garage so I can start. I'm getting very antsy now!

Starting to cross off some items, I have a new battery on its way since this happened to that last one (tipped over and the leads landed PERFECTLY on my socket wrench):

Also have an electronics box on the way too. Things I'm still trying to locate and would LOVE some insight on is guages specifically. I currently have one of those Acewell all in one speedos. It's fine and I can reuse it if necessary. I would prefer to have a separate speedo and tach preferably analog dials. The thing is, I'm trying to find a tach with a cable drive so I can reuse the stock cable, and a matching speedo that would allow me to just use a sensor. Let me know if yall have any suggestions for that! Also, for those who installed a rear seat hoop, what size do I actually need? I measured 8" but nothing really lines up with that.

In the meantime, my buddy just got this for free, so might be a spare bike while the CX is under construction:

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks for the recs fellas!

Small updates - New battery is in, electronics box should be at the office by Friday, and my rear seat hoop is ordered. Things still on the list are a latch for a quick-release seat, and a rear master cylinder for the brake swap.

Also, I solidified the plans on moving the bike to my buddy's garage next week too. Just have to work around the rally car (Evo 9) build on the lift. Currently aiming to have it back on the road by April, so in reality, probably June.

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey guys!

Lots happening in the last couple weeks. Wednesday a friend was kind enough to come help out with moving the bike down to Jersey after work (thank god for friends who own trucks and trailers):

Fast forward to Saturday. It's 25 degrees out, feels like 12, so naturally it's the best time to go buy a brand new bike. Helped a friend with transporting (aka freezing) her New Ducati Scrambler back to my patio before heading to the garage to get started on the overhaul. First step, see how these fork fit. Turns out the Triumph stem is only 1/16" shorter than the CX stem, so I shouldn't have much of an issue with fitting it. The steering stops and finding the correct bearings are going to be the biggest challenge. I do have some access to multiple hydraulic presses, so I another option is to just swap in the CX stem. So far I just trimmed the CX steering stops so that the Triumph fork could bed mocked up:

Practice for going fast or whatever:

Some very old and gross looking stem grease:

Only lasted about 2 hours last night given the general exhaustion that comes with spending half the day at a dealership and also the bitter cold.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Moving on to today (1/31/21). There's a huge witner storm hitting the area, so naturally, the best thing to do is drive 45 minutes to work on motorcycles, duh. This is the view as I got there. There was about 3" by the time I left.

Accomplished a good amount today too, mainly thanks to the propane heater and the extra shot of espresso. I started off with pulling the rest of the wiring harness, clutch cable, and throttle cable. Finished off by just dropping the engine out and hefting it up on the work bench.

I think there was a little bit of an oil leak....

I hit a bit of a roadblock with the 40-year-old gaskets that are basically fused to the front cover, so if anyone has any insight on how to get that off easily, I'm all ears! I'm headed back on Thrusday to finish up stripping down the frame, and pulling the swing arm. Once I figure out my head bearings, quick release seat latch, and the new rear hoop shows, I'm taking the frame to have some welding done. In the mean time, the engine is going to receive some maintenance, and a thorough scrub before paint. So far so good with getting 'er back on the road by spring.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Those beefy gold anodized forks look really nice on your bike. A heater and espresso (or insert energy drink of choice) go a long way to help out in the winter! Nice progress, keep the pics coming.

Reactions: nthomas33
41 - 60 of 68 Posts