Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Gotcha gotcha, so basically I should keep my eyes peeled for the R6 setup for the best bet. What about GSX-R? When I first got the bike I saw that was a popular option, but then some info that the stem would have to be changed? The less of things that require the machine shop the better haha.

Good to hear! Looking forward to what you come up with.

-Nick

·
Registered
221 Posts
Pros and cons with GSXR...I like GSXR triples because they use FAT stems. They're easy to press out and setup a bushing that lets you use the stock stem for whatever bike you're swapping to. But they tend to be a bit on the short side as well.

K6 600 and 750 are good choices

There use to be good charts like that floating around for Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha too but I can't find them anymore :/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pros and cons with GSXR...I like GSXR triples because they use FAT stems. They're easy to press out and setup a bushing that lets you use the stock stem for whatever bike you're swapping to. But they tend to be a bit on the short side as well.

K6 600 and 750 are good choices

There use to be good charts like that floating around for Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha too but I can't find them anymore :/
Roger that! I did a little more reading on the GSX-R swaps, and most others were saying that the forks are cheaper, but typically there's more money spent trying to get the forks to work. I also see a ton of Kawasaki forks floating around that are very affordable, but I haven't seen anyone with that swap yet.

I did find these: 2007 07 08 Yamaha R1 YZFR1 OEM Fork Tubes Front Suspension Triple Tree Stem | eBay

Which I JUST so happen to have about that waiting in my Paypal account currently...

-Nick

·
Registered
967 Posts
Which I JUST so happen to have about that waiting in my Paypal account currently...
I hadn't looked at the price of those front ends before, Yikes! Pricey.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
be patient and find a wreck to build from. I bought two wrecked R6's last summer for $500, then a running and complete Daytona 675 two months ago for $300.
Yeah that's looking like the plan now. This winter is going to be cleaning up the wiring and converting the rear brake drum over to a disc since that's a much cheaper endeavor. Probably going to keep my eyes peeled for a fork swap over the next year.

Speaking of, anyone know if the CB900C final drive has a different gearing than the CX? Apparently fitting the rear axle is the main hurdle and the final drives are surprisingly cheap

-Nick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's set up for a different axle size, but it's the same final drive ratio. Drive shafts are different, too, and the pivot width is different so it's not a swap onto the CX for the disc rear.

Ahh ok, gotcha, fair enough. The only options that I could really find so far were either make some sort of spacer for the CX axle or get the bigger axle and drill out the hole on the final drive housing, so just looking for a workaround to those if I could.

-Nick

·
Registered
605 Posts
DANG what D-Fresh said!

Also just realized that I found your IG not too long ago. Bike looks great man! What gauges are you using? I want to do something similar for mine eventually
Thanks man! I do post more on IG than anywhere else.

Tach: 1:4 ratio

Speedo: 60:2240 ratio

Temp: 2" inch 52mm Car Pointer Water Temp Temperature Gauge Meter 40-120 Celsius

·
Registered
967 Posts
excuse my ignorance, what is IG?

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Instagram

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks. Even though many of my jobs over the last 20 years have been in IT/Technology, I'm a luddite in my personal life... LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks man! I do post more on IG than anywhere else.

Tach: 1:4 ratio

Speedo: 60:2240 ratio

Temp: 2" inch 52mm Car Pointer Water Temp Temperature Gauge Meter 40-120 Celsius

Thanks for the recs! I'll add those to the list. Where did you tap into for the coolant temp?

Also, just a quick minor update, new bars and Nibbi throttle installed. Well installed last week, but I finally got around to documenting it:

I'm trying to work out a time with my brother to secure some space in his garage over the winter to start on the wiring cleanup, and also the rear disc conversion. All parts sans the master cylinder have been ordered!

-Nick

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the recs! I'll add those to the list. Where did you tap into for the coolant temp?
I used an M16x1.5MM to 1/8 NPT adapter to screw the new temp sensor that came with the gauge into the old temp sensor port. Right up next to the thermostat. :) I'd say the /only/ issue I have with the temp gauge is that when you rev the bike, the temp goes up from the voltage. I mean, it's cheap, but it gives me an idea of where I should be.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts