Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1981 GL500 Interstate
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to rebuild my brakes since the rear works better than the front. I have found a few kits, K&L 32-1153 with 32-1176 pistons, All Balls 18-3164 kit, and the brake crafters kit 1981-1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing-Front Brake Caliper Seal & Stainless - Brakecrafters .
With so many price differences and unknown to me brands I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.
Bike already has a techna fit brake braided lines kit, not sure when it was installed, got the bike a few years ago with 3500 miles on it and they were already there.
I've "rebuilt" the master cylinder with the honda oem rebuild kit, though I don't think I did a great job and didn't replace the cracked out reservoir or even take it off since I was in school at the time with no money. Before the rebuild the brake press was rather phased feeling either on or off.
I found this kit: Brake Master Cylinder & Reservoir Kit-Front for 1981-82 Honda GL500I S - Brakecrafters and this kit:Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Kit-Front for 1981-1982 Honda GL500I S - Brakecrafters for the reservoir, one does contain master cylinder parts that I've replaced previously, though I'm not sure what shape they're actually in and will be removing everything for an ultrasonic clean.

Going to disassemble the brakes tomorrow, I have a feeling the pistons need replaced with how corroded the mc was but will know for sure then.

Has anyone used these before and what do you recommend? Not having good brakes really has me not wanting to ride and it's quite a bummer.

· Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,741 Posts
Many of us have rebuilt these brakes, some of us many times (I drive mine in winter and that's hard on the brakes). The last time I did calipers I used the cheapest kit I could find on eBay and it worked fine.
You can often find a suitable complete replacement master cylinder for less than the price of the rebuild kit but don't just pick a random one on eBay because some are good and some are garbage and you can't tell from the pics (someone please post a current link to a known good one).
Note also that you need to get the right bore size for the number if calipers *if you have the original one apart measure it).

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet).
You mentioned aftermarket brake lines. If they are rubber like the originals they should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) but stainless braided lines last practically forever and double the life of the fluid.
And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

· Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
185 Posts
For the last 10 years or so, I've always used the Brakecrafter kits. Never been disappointed.

If your rubber brake lines are brittle, I reccomend Galfer stainless steel brake lines. I put them on both of my GL650s.

· Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,741 Posts
I've never seen brittle brake lines. The usual sign of deterioration is that if you wrap your hand around the line and squeeze the lever you can feel the line expand.

· Registered
1982 Honda GL500i Interstate, bobber project
1,200 Posts
I recommend 4into1.com as well; selection, price, quality. I bought brake lines from AliExpress, since many vendors source them there anyway. Saved money and they are working perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts