Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale, 1981 Honda GL500 Cafe Racer color White - Perfect Winter project... I started doing this project but can not finish it. I have installed filter pods and re-jetted the carburetor, installed mufflers, repaired the fuel petcock valve, installed mirrors, turn signals... Has new odometer and tachometer cables. Right now it has a problem I have not been able to resolve which is coolant mixing with oil in the motor. Doing research in this forum found it could be a head gasket or the mechanical seal and oil seal. Changed the water pump mechanical seal but the problem persists, maybe I did not do it right and has to be re-done. The motorcycle starts and runs just fine, but this problem has to be fixed before you can continue to use it. I have attached a picture for reference of how I wanted the motorcycle to look. I can provide all manuals if needed. It is up for SALE AS IS.

The motorcycle is located in Chicago, IL. I have clean title for it.

I am asking $1000 for it 20170920_174044.jpg 20170920_174055.jpg 20170920_174116.jpg 20170920_174125.jpg 21192468_10159308302580581_211516948922547232_n.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A compression and leak-down test might show if it's the head gasket.
Thanks Steve, I have found a lot of great articles and suggestions in this great forum about how to fix it, but I lack the tools, time and experience to do the tests and repairs myself and have not found someone who can repair it at a reasonable price

Sincerely, if that issue was fixed, I would not sell it... I would probably finish the project

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Thanks Steve, I have found a lot of great articles and suggestions in this great forum about how to fix it, but I lack the tools, time and experience to do the tests and repairs myself and have not found someone who can repair it at a reasonable price

Sincerely, if that issue was fixed, I would not sell it... I would probably finish the project
Send me a PM and I can help you out if you want to travel two hours to get here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts