Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently acquired an '81 GL500 that the PO said was running great until it died one day while he was riding it. He stated that he was going a steady 25mph when the bike just died. There were no bangs or bad noises it was almost like he hit the engine cutoff switch. This could explain the issue but he had bypassed the switch when he got the bike because he was having issues with it. The motor turns over with ease when I manually turn it with a ratchet wrench. So I am pretty sure this is an electrical issue.

In the past month I have repeatedly gone to the wiki page and done the step by step troubleshooting steps written there with no success. Being frustrated, I began replacing the electrical parts including the entire wire harness, solenoid/dogbone fuse, fusebox and fuses (on handlebar), regulator rectifier and a new battery. The next parts I would replace would be the coils and the TI silver modules. Because these seem to be the most expensive parts I'd like to get some advice and see if what I am doing is incorrect/pointless or am I on the right track.

When trying to start the bike now.
1. Bike is in neutral
2. Turn the key to On or ACC
3. Press start button on the right handlebar.
4. The headlight dims until it is off.
5. Nothing happens

Thanks

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Hmmm.....I am no electrical guru. But I think I would start with a Digital Multimeter with the wiring diagram and begin checking voltages starting at the battery.

This could be a simple switch that has gone bad or something more serious.

I would hold off on whole scale replacement of the e-system. The problem is likely a simple item with a simple fix.

Your start sequence is almost normal......exception ACC. I don't beleive ACC will allow the bike to start.
I hate to ask...but....is the bike in neutral and/or clutch lever pulled when starting?

Have you checked the neutral or clutch interlock switches? Kill switch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would no be looking at ignition stuff yet. If I'm understanding you right, your starter motor is not cranking the engine.
1 I would jumper +12v from the battery directly to the lug on the starter to make sure it cranks. Jumpering the 2 big lugs on the starter solenoid would accomplish the same.
2 Check the starter switch. (Mine was bad when I got my bike). Make sure the starter contacts close when you press the button and the headlight contacts open.
Your head light should not dim before it turns off. It should turn off as soon as the starter button is pressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm.....I am no electrical guru. But I think I would start with a Digital Multimeter with the wiring diagram and begin checking voltages starting at the battery.

This could be a simple switch that has gone bad or something more serious.

I would hold off on whole scale replacement of the e-system. The problem is likely a simple item with a simple fix.

Your start sequence is almost normal......exception ACC. I don't beleive ACC will allow the bike to start.
I hate to ask...but....is the bike in neutral and/or clutch lever pulled when starting?

Have you checked the neutral or clutch interlock switches? Kill switch?

The only reason why I tried ACC was because ON wasn't working. I have tried pulling the clutch lever and putting the bike in neutral, even both at the same time. The kill switch is no longer connected. Could you elaborate on what a neutral or clutch interlock switch is?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would no be looking at ignition stuff yet. If I'm understanding you right, your starter motor is not cranking the engine.
1 I would jumper +12v from the battery directly to the lug on the starter to make sure it cranks. Jumpering the 2 big lugs on the starter solenoid would accomplish the same.
2 Check the starter switch. (Mine was bad when I got my bike). Make sure the starter contacts close when you press the button and the headlight contacts open.
Your head light should not dim before it turns off. It should turn off as soon as the starter button is pressed.
I have connected the battery to the starter like you said and it does crank the engine. Where is the starter switch located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The disconnected killswitch is likely your problem on a TI bike. The power to the coils needs to go through this switch.

Either wire the switch back up or temporarily bypass it and the bike should start.

Clutch switch will prevent cranking, not sparking.
I was told the kill switch was permanently bypassed before the bike stopped working. How would you suggest to bypass it so I can make sure it was done properly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upon opening the starter switch I found this

Auto part Wire Bumper Automotive engine part Engine Auto part Automotive lighting Wire Tire Vehicle Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Pipe

I assume the black and black/white soldered together is the cutoff bypass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the yellow/red wired looking like it does should I replace the switch?
It may be difficult to reattach that wire.
I would search EBay motorcycle parts for "GL500 right control"

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That y/r wire should go to the starter according to the factory manual , you could just add a handle bar start switch if you can't find a replacement. The oem part # is 35130-ma1-670 according to a parts search all GL500 and 650's are the same but I don't know this for certain, check it out, hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The yellow/red wire was just long enough for me to solder it back into place. Thanks for the suggestions guys. My bike finally turns over on its own, really made my day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts