Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,032 Posts
I thought bypassing it to eliminate it from the equation would simplify troubleshooting. In theory you could remove the entire diaphragm (including the part with the ball) and replace it with an o-ring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
the acv does move freely. I think the carbs were rebuilt with off key aftermarket parts. they were too clean and had a few signs of an ameturish overhaul. I have been over it for air leaks and fixed a few, and a weak spark, but now am at the point where it seems the main jet is taking over it is leaning out.

Thanks for the cv carb video link! And all the thuoghtful advice. Next???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes I attached a clear hose to the drain and loosed the stopper. Made 2 marks at fuel bowl top and fuel level. As in pic. Difference is approx. 4 mm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I hope all are well riding out these strange times.

The left carb is doing nothing above idle. i can pull the plug, or cover the intake on the left side and it continues to run as if I Hadn't. not so right side. some gas is getting through the left side, because if I block the intake I get a gas soaked hand. I changed the floats left to right and no difference.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RM

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Also as Bob requested. this info really helps others help you
Please add your location to your profile (there may be a member nearby who can help you in person) and your bike's model and model year to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time you ask something and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I have been trying to update my profile, but can't seem to.

I had a bad spark plug in that left cyl. now it runs better, but is consistently lean on both sides. I think perhaps the po put in poor quality/wrong jets or floats. I can of course get all sorts of carb parts on eBay, but wonder if there is a better place with more consistent/better quality parts.

Now backto that profile......

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just made the investments for my carbs overhaul, Larry's book, Randacks carb kit, and the Harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner.
Just need the Mac tool exactor.
After 23 years , this bike owes me nothing.
Let you know how it runs after.

·
Super Moderator
13,032 Posts
To change your profile click on your avatar (top right of the screen) and select Account Settings. It should open in the Account details tab (where you can add an avatar pic if you want and could add your location if you hadn't already done so). Select the Signature tab and a field will open where you can add whatever you want to your signature, then click Save and it should be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning everyone. I am new to forums and an old guy so if I am in the wrong place to post this let me know. I bought My second cx500 after the last one was toasted by a u turning postal truck. I really liked that bike so I bought this one. It runs well at idle, and will accelerate with the choke on. With no choke it has no power and backfires when asking for some. 150 psi each cylinder. carbs clean new coils, new intake boots, and all potential leaks fixed. I took off the intake boots from the airbox to the carbs. When it is running the carb slides are pulsing up and down rapidly. this seems wrong to me but I am not that familiar with this style of carb. So any suggestions? I really appreciate the knolege base, thanks!

RM
How is the battery? My gl was running very bad not taking throttle with a bad battery I chased the carbs for a couple days until I realized the battery was the calpret.

·
Registered
479 Posts
How is the battery? My gl was running very bad not taking throttle with a bad battery I chased the carbs for a couple days until I realized the battery was the calpret.
His cx500 has cdi ignition so the battery will have no effect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good morning everyone. I am new to forums and an old guy so if I am in the wrong place to post this let me know. I bought My second cx500 after the last one was toasted by a u turning postal truck. I really liked that bike so I bought this one. It runs well at idle, and will accelerate with the choke on. With no choke it has no power and backfires when asking for some. 150 psi each cylinder. carbs clean new coils, new intake boots, and all potential leaks fixed. I took off the intake boots from the airbox to the carbs. When it is running the carb slides are pulsing up and down rapidly. this seems wrong to me but I am not that familiar with this style of carb. So any suggestions? I really appreciate the knolege base, thanks!

RM
This sounds like my complaint a few years back.. mine was all carb problems..cruddy jets, by- pass channels etc. I used what many here have, an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor freight, Larry's carb rebuild book and a good rebuild kit. @ 120 lbs. and 135 lbs. in my cylinders it doesn't start well when ice cold, but when warmed up runs strong. Wish I had your 150 psi. My 2 cents is... rebuild those carbs so you know their working well and have yourself a ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So thanks agin for the input. I got tired of cleaning, inspecting swapping out parts on the existing carbs with very little change in performance, I ordered a used set on eBay for $90.00. they arrived two days early, and appeared unmolested. I cleand them top to bottom, but did not change any parts. After overcoming a gas leak or two, it now starts and runs well, but needs a sync. 13 inches on the left side 6 on the right so that is my after lunch task. gonna have to bundle up, it is a cold and rainy day in Pa. Hope when the sun shines again I will be road ready.

Also battery is strong!

I did order a rebuild kit, but it isnt here yet..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought Larry's carburetor book a couple of years ago, but never got around until now. Picked up the Harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner just before the work from home situation.
The MAC tool extractor came in Thursday and Randacks rebuild kit.

I should have done this along time ago, thought the problem was the vacuum petcock. Nope, carbs needed to be cleaned correctly.

Went out for a half hour ride on the mostly empty highway. Wow it runs great. Put in new throttle cables also.
Bike wants to go 75-80 mph easily. Starts easy and idles perfect. Smooth acceleration.
Highly recommend the full effort to clean by Larry's book.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts