Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had coolant dripping out of my weep hole and planned on just replacing the mechanical seal. Noticed recently the bike bogs on the right side when I first start it. Then after a few revs she runs strong. Also it has developed white smoke at start up. I still thought it could be just that seal. A couple of days ago I realized I had straight coolant dripping out of my exhaust pipe! Pulled my spark plugs. The left is perfect. The right is drenched and the piston is clean. The cylinder is filled with Coolant! With how bad it is, I am under the impression its a cracked head..... Could it be just the head gasket? Any thoughts and prayers much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

P.S.

I don't know if it means anything but I adjusted the valve clearance just a little bit before this coolant appeared in my cylinder

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I would think head gasket before cracked head,,blown head gaskets are not uncommon. You could try torquing the head bolts just in case they happen to have worked loose.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Does your CX have a manual or vacuum shut off for the fuel shut off??? If it is a vacuum it usually takes a few seconds to fill the right bowl of it has set for more than a day.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had more than one head gasket go bad and leak coolant so profusely into the cylinder that the bike was hydro-locked. It wouldn't turn over because it couldn't compress the liquid! When I pulled the spark plug, the bike cranked and shot the coolant ten feet out the spark plug hole. New head gaskets solved the problem. I recommend getting Honda gaskets because a number of us have had bad luck with no-brand head gaskets.

In my case, I got a "complete" CX500 gasket and seal set from ebay. It turned out to be missing several parts and the head gaskets fit poorly. I had to spend a lot of time with a Dremel grinder to get the head gaskets to fit properly. They did seal however and my problem was rectified.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The heads on these engines rarely,"Crack".They are very robust.They can warp however but even this is usually minimal and easily cured.Blown head gaskets are more often than not a symptom,not a cause and are caused by incorrect running temperatures.

The most common causes of these differences are incorrectly balanced carburettors that are too far out.Bad ignition system and or incorrect carburetion and or blocked or inefficient cooling system.

On re-fit of the heads the problem can be replicated by not cleaning the Bolt holes thoroughly and not re-torquing the head bolts after one thermostat opening running temp cycle and or not using the correct torque sequence and gasket procedure.

I made this little video some time ago on how I re-use good 2nd hand head gaskets as well as new,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Bsc2zyihU

The head gaskets in that video did all of 2010 season and continually to this day with no problems.I have an infra-red heat temperature gun so can check my cylinder's temps are correct and both my CX500s run at 85 Deg C/185 F at the cooling jackets at the rear of the cylinders when on the Temp gauge nominal mark and my Temp gauges and 7v supply to them are correct.

If you have a head off and you want to check and cure any warping degrease and speckle with some Dark aerosol paint on the mating surface and let dry.Place a piece of 180 grit wet and dry on a ,"Glass Flat" surface and use either water or clean engine oil as a lubricant and circle the head on the paper.This will show any highs and lows and you can sand them down.There's plenty of meat on these heads as they are well over-engineered.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.