Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all I would like to thank all the members of this forum for all the great information. After reading as much info for a year I decided to find myself a CX500 for a cafe build. I pick up this 1981 CX500 of Craigslist a few months ago. Since then I was able to take everything apart and start cleaning stuff up. I’m hoping to start degreasing the engine and start polishing it in the next few weeks. I just ordered a BBCR cafe racer mono shock kit, once that comes in I ll send the frame, swing arm, engine mounts and e few other parts of to power coating

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
That now looks a lot like of extra parts now. Can I have some? Just kidding. Have fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good lord... I hadn't looked into the background of your photos!

I just realised 'twas *I* bought your crazy, Good & Plenty, two-tone saddle, to further my Frankenstein, C -> D seat experiments.

Yes, folks, it really is stitched together from black and pink vinyl, constructed that way by Abbie-someone.

But we'll soon put it right... MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spend a few hours yesterday degreasing the engine. I just ordered some polishing supplies from Eastwood. Hope to have done sometime this month. First time polishing so we ll see I guess!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After working like crazy for the last few weeks I finely got the chance of working on the bike.
Updates:
Still waiting on the Eastwood polishing supplies, got a shipping confirmation should be here by Wed.
Still waiting on the BBCR Engineering Café Kit, got a shipping confirmation will be here on Tues. I know some peoples had bad experience whit Andrai but honestly so far I can only say good things about him. Hes been super helpful and responded to all my questions in a quick timely matter.
Of course I ll post some pictures as soon as i get it.
Today I had some time so I panted a few parts.
Here we go image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image3.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg For the radiator I used Eastwood radiator paint and primer.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Like Phreak says . Besides, on any personalised built these air dams look great, and allow the bike to run like a Bat mobile :)

You are doing a great lob so far. Oh man , I love the Pink Floyd fuel tank whatever the colour !

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update:
Received the BBCR kit yesterday. I know some people had some problem with Andrei in the past, I will share my opinion and of course is just my opinion. Craftsman ship of this kit it’s unbelievable, I’m not expert but I can tell it’s definitely well made. It arrived in less than 2 weeks, before ordering I had some questions so I contacted Andrei and he was super helpful. After I placed my order I shipped the swing arm to him so he could weld the shock mount to it, he did it for free so I would like to thank him for that. I’m hoping on getting it installed in the next few weeks so I can send the frame to power coating.

I also pick up a CBR600RR front end, after doing a lot of reading I figured I ll give it a try, I’m sure I’m going to ask a lot of questions so please be patient with me.
I ll make sure to post as many pictures as possible.

Received the Eastwood polishing kit.
I hope I can work on the engine a few hours at night so hopefully it ll not take me too long, I ll post pictures of the progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1981 cx500 cafe project

Had some time to polish a small section of the engine. I figured I ll post some progress. A lot more to go I ll try to post as much of the progress. Been using Eastwood polishing kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1981 cx500 valve cover question

So I have been polishing the engine for the past month and it’s coming to the time to paint the valve covers, but before I do that does anyone know if I could use the valve covers off a GL650? I only want to swap for the look so if not no big deal. Thank you

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome and great work so far!
It really looks like a great donor bike in deed!

Plse remember to add the details of your bike at your signature.

It seems you have CX 500 Custom...but you probably know that already......lol. Not sure if you also want to correct your thread heading accordingly..lol

Have fun!!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I know it’s been a wile since I posted but I finally had time to modify the frame and install the BBCR kit, as a first timer it wasn’t so bad. I have to clean up the frame off in a few spots before I can send it out to power coating. Ones the frame is back I ll work on the front end swap. Thanks for looking

Attachments

1 - 20 of 193 Posts