Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m looking for a new gas tank preferably just metal, so I can paint it. I’m in Canada so need a site for Canada and maybe the size dimension for the tank. Don’t wanna break the bank either. I’ve tried the muratic acid and it worked but not that well left the bike for a while with the tank all cleaned out and no muratic acid left over. Went to go work on it and just as crappy as before. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
After you use the muriatic acia you need to rinse and dry the tank right away. Then I would use some silver por-15 to seal the rust in. That would be your cheepest fix.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
What do you mean by "crappy"? If you are just talking about surface rust, the acid removed the plating inside the tank with the acid so you shouldn't be surprised that the steel rusts if there is any moisture in the air (especially if you didn't flush out the acid with water and then slosh acetone inside the tank to dry it).
If the inside of the tank is clean other than the rust call around to the rad repair shops in your area and see if any of them do gas tank epoxy lining. The last time I had one done it cost less than the POR kit and they dealt with all of the mess.

BTW: You need to be more specific about which model you have when looking for things like that because there are differences between models and years. As an example, the CX500 came with 3 different tanks depending on whether it is a "standard" (the original model), a Deluxe (CX500D) or a Custom (CX500C). There are also differences between the model years. Because of that we recommend adding your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts