Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I was riding my bike around and it ran out of gas (fortunately on my drive way.) So I took a trip into town and got 5 gallons and filled her up. Now she wont start though.

I checked the spark plugs, ignition coils and fuel line. They're all fine. The bike is mechanically and electrically sound but the gas isn't getting from the carbs to the engine.

I took the carbs out after talking to a mechanic friend of mine and dropped them off to be cleaned out. That was done this morning and when I got home I re-installed my carbs, reattached my gas tank and fuel line and it still doesn't start.

I tried starter fluid and it runs on that until it uses it all up.

And yes, my kill switch is properly positioned.

I just don't know what to do at this point and now I'm out the 100 bucks it took to clean my carbs. If any of you guys could help me or give me any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll just take the whole bike to the mechanic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Open a carb drain and see if fuel comes out,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done this multiple times. Like I said, the gas gets from the tank to the carbs but not from the carbs to the engine.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The mechanic probably missed something in the carb rebuild.
Cleaning these carbs properly takes time if you don't specialize in them. They are not forgiving at all.
One tiny, micro piece of rust can f*** up your Cha Cha.

What takes Larry about an hour on them, takes me two.

Okay, two and a half.

Would you believe three?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
if fuel comes out the drains there is something wrong with carbs.

most likely

The only other reason would be a massive vacuum leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try removing the petcock if it is vacuum operated. mark vacuum hoses before you take them off. with a piece of vacuum line suck on the vacuum nipples and listen for movement. blow and listen. repeat on both nipples. if no movement open up petcock by removing the 4 Phillips screws. move diaphragm switch back and forth try sucking on vacuum nipples again when open. you should see the diaphragm move.reassemble. suck on both nipples and you should feel diaphragm move. put small amount of water in the petcock, petcock right side up. place switch on r suck on nipples. water should flow out of fuel line nipple. dry and re assemble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts