Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I have a 1980 CX500 Custom that I am about to "mod" with a stock Honda SissyBar/Luggage rack. I bought it off of ebay a few years agon and it's missing the little plastic bushing in one of the pipes/tubes that the sissy bar slides into. I think I might be able to work around that issue but I've got some questions.

How do I securely adjust the sissy bar as it slides into the luggage rack. If I can find some good pics online or take some of my own I can explain better but I thought I'd ask these questions before heading off to work.

Also, what are the little wingnuts for on the bottom side of the tubes on the luggage rack?? At first glance it looks like this would be how you would tighten the "grip" on the sissy bar, where it slides into the luggage rack, but on further inspection, they do nothing. They simply tighten onto a post that is welded onto the luggage rack and just sort of sit there.

Does anyone have a diagram of this thing? Did/Does Honda give you an instruction manual when you purchased this item...For something for sissy bar noobs like me?

I'm hoping someone out there might have some insight.

For clarification, my sissy bar/luggage rack is the type with the big squarish back pad with the zippered honda pocket on the back and the flat, chrome luggage rack that goes with it.

Thanks a lot folks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
the wing nut is what tightens around the bar, it closes the gap on the bottom of the black plastic piece holding the bar in place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I have a 1980 CX500 Custom that I am about to "mod" with a stock Honda SissyBar/Luggage rack. I bought it off of ebay a few years agon and it's missing the little plastic bushing in one of the pipes/tubes that the sissy bar slides into. I think I might be able to work around that issue but I've got some questions.

How do I securely adjust the sissy bar as it slides into the luggage rack. If I can find some good pics online or take some of my own I can explain better but I thought I'd ask these questions before heading off to work.

Also, what are the little wingnuts for on the bottom side of the tubes on the luggage rack?? At first glance it looks like this would be how you would tighten the "grip" on the sissy bar, where it slides into the luggage rack, but on further inspection, they do nothing. They simply tighten onto a post that is welded onto the luggage rack and just sort of sit there.

Does anyone have a diagram of this thing? Did/Does Honda give you an instruction manual when you purchased this item...For something for sissy bar noobs like me?

I'm hoping someone out there might have some insight.

For clarification, my sissy bar/luggage rack is the type with the big squarish back pad with the zippered honda pocket on the back and the flat, chrome luggage rack that goes with it.

Thanks a lot folks.

I finally took some pictures of the luggage rack. Can you tell me if I am missing some pieces? The wing nuts don't make sense, and I'm wondering if I can still order a plastic bushing?

Luggage Rack 1 - you can see the missing bushing on the far side where the sissy bar slides in.

[attachment=774:Luggage Rack 1.JPG]

Luggage Rack 2 - you can see the wing nuts.

[attachment=775:Luggage Rack 2.JPG]

Wing Nut 1 - you can see the wing nut , the post it's screwed onto and the whitish bushing.

[attachment=776:Wing Nut 1.JPG]

Wing Nut 2 - is a slightly different view of the previous pic.

[attachment=777:Wing Nut 2.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think you are missing some parts besides the one bushing. The wing nut, when tightened, pushes a little bracket piece through those holes to lock the back rest tubes in place. You are missing the little bracket pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are missing some parts besides the one bushing. The wing nut, when tightened, pushes a little bracket piece through those holes to lock the back rest tubes in place. You are missing the little bracket pieces.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I guess you are right, I'm missing some sort of piece that the wingnut tightens down on that pokes through those holes and presses against the sliding bar from the backrest.

Does anyone have any pics of this piece? If so...maybe I could craft something similar out of...something or other. Or does anyone know have a manual or instructions that came with the assembly new?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I tried to find an example of the part that locks the bar but I didn't see any.

The part is really simple. Basically it is a flat piece of metal with a hole in the center and two bumps on it. The bumps line up with the holes and when tightened they press against the pipe that slides in and out.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's one on the left side of this photo but it's hard to see.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/honda cb650 luggage rack/efweir/100_0205.jpg

Thanks a lot! That gives me something to think about. Its strange, I thought there would be divets or hashes in the part of the backrest that slides in. Those look like pretty sharp little teeth that dig in to those holes.

like pushing a flathead screwdriver in there.

If anyone else finds any pics please ad them. I wonder if there is a part number out there somewhere...?

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Thanks a lot! That gives me something to think about. Its strange, I thought there would be divets or hashes in the part of the backrest that slides in. Those look like pretty sharp little teeth that dig in to those holes.

like pushing a flathead screwdriver in there.

If anyone else finds any pics please ad them. I wonder if there is a part number out there somewhere...?

I just bought a luggage rack/sissy bar IDENTICAL to yours, and i have the exact same problem....HMMM

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
I fabricated a solution. Quite simple, I will post pics when I get the pieces back from the chromer

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Here they are. The rubber tips provide nice grip without scarring up the metal. They are just vacuum line caps, found in the HELP! hardware at any auto part store.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Here they are. The rubber tips provide nice grip without scarring up the metal. They are just vacuum line caps, found in the HELP! hardware at any auto part store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts