Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I was recently gifted this bike (and a few others). Its been sitting for at least a decade. after a thorough carb cleaning, replacing the intake manifolds (they were sealed with electrical tape..........) and a fluid change, she fired right up! Alas my joy was short lived, as it was only running on the left cylinder.......ok, heres what i've checked...

1. Spark - nice healthy spark
2. Compression - reads just north of 150 PSI
3. Fuel - plenty of fuel in the bowl.
4. Spark Plug is bone dry. Not sooty etc., like brand new.
5. I pulled the plug wire from left cylinder (killing it) and choked the bike while trying to start. it will make the occasional attempt to fire, but not much
6. While running on said left cylinder, cranked the throttle while touching right exhaust header - even at WOT theres not a bit of heat. so its not getting gas period.

I'm kinda stumped. Any ideas???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not - but i blew carb cleaner and compressed air through it, so i assumed it was kosher.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Does the right cylinder fire if you spray a bit of fuel in through the balance port on the right carb insulator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved - i'm not sure of the part name, but if you pull the cap off and remove the piston/needle assembly there is a black ring - it was installed upside down (lip up, instead of down). now it runs on both cylinders, but its pretty rough.i'll play with the mix screws then vacuum synch. Right now i have a truck load of seafoam in the tank - i ran it till it smoked, then shut it down. i'll let things marinate for a day then go back to it.

Speaking of mix screws - what IS the recommended setting for an '80 500C? i saw somewhere 1.5 out from lightly seated, and thats where they are currently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke too soon. it SORTA runs on both cylinders, but the right cylinder is only firing intermittently...
Lots of possibilities, but i think the most sane course of action is to buy Larrys book that i hear so much about, and carb kits from Randakk, and go from there. trying to re-use decades old bits is probably a fools errand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, just for giggles i'm going to swap coils and plugs, just to rule that out. that won't tell me if my CDI is wonky, but will just narrow the list of variables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahem.....anyone know where i can get pilot jets and main emulsion tubes? I actually do have 2 or 3 sets of carbs i could cannibalize, but given my luck with trying to extract them from this set i'd likely just ruin them.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts