Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm almost done rebuilding the old lady from the ground up just some observations. Honda engrave the conrod with a letter and number, like C1, C2 and the manual tells me that the Letter is the "Weight Group" of the rod and number the size. You cannot mix the different weight groups for obvious reasons. This all comes about with the problems Honda had with the original CX's from 1978 onwards...blowing bottom ends from new....

Ok so now I need new rods as I run the bike hot MANY years ago and wrecked the Gudgeon pins, this I only saw now.

What is the size part they talking about, that I don't get?

Anyone know?

Thanks

TREV

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I have it on good authority you can mix the weight groups.Dr.Don from the Australian forum when I questioned him on this said that it wouldn't cause too much of a problem.There may be a little more vibration but after a high mileage the engine would most likely balance out.

There would be no harm,if you are confident,in filing a small amount of metal off the heavier one and with a good set of balances to make them level.I would do it evenly from two sides say on the top of the point where the bolts go through by hand until balanced.

The numbers are the weight groups and the letters are the shell sizes/groups.

Note:If the rods have been involved in a seizure,partial or full,they should be replaced unless their integrity has been checked professionally by an engineering company with the correct equipment.

HTH

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree, carefully file off metal from the heavier connecting rod until weight of each matches exactly.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes, and you can match the pistons as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts