Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My steering had huge notches in the travel caused by 37 year old head bearings. I replaced them with some All Balls bearings, however my test ride revealed a slow motion wobble back and forth while attempting to ride straight. It like when you roll a tire and as it slows, it tips left to right over and over keeping balance. Its slow and not extreme but its clearly a problem. My first thought was that i installed the steering bearings incorrectly, but everything i read and check leads me to believe that might not be the problem. (perhaps the notch hid the wobble and could only be felt once the head bearings were replaced??)

So, i went ahead and replaced the front wheel bearings as well. Again, the process went smoothly and it seems correct. Wheel is nice and centered, no free play and spins easily. While i was at it I re-checked the fork fluid and found it low/unequal, no leaks. Siphoned fluid out of them and re-measured to reach equal and proper levels (4.7 oz per fork to my knowledge)

once everything was back together i test rode it again. Same thing. Slow, steady sway left to right while riding straight. With the bike stopped, i noticed that when i load up the front end (pushing forward with the front brake engaged) the wheel would noticeably twist to the left, and back straight once i unload them. I can only assume these two problems are directly related.

Is it possible my fork oil levels are still incorrect, and could that cause my wobble and my axle bind? Or perhaps i assembled my head bearings incorrectly and need to take the whole front end apart again?? Or is it some other issue i have not considered?

·
Super Moderator
23,104 Posts
Perhaps it's you doing it until you get used to the lighter, non self centring steering.

My 500 standard was running on old, squared off tyres making the steering heavy. After having new tyres fitted I wobbled around for a while overcorrecting the steering at low speed due to how light it had become until I got used to the changes..

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Perhaps there is no front bracing? Do you still have a front fender attached between the forks? If not, that could cause something like this.
Another idea might relate to the rear end being out of line, or frame warp. Rear wheel true? Tire condition and pressure? Rear axle and drive mounted improperly?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front fender is attached, however one of the bolts broke off inside the fork years ago, leaving one side with a single bolt screwed in while the other still has both. The rear tire is pretty new, the front is showing some age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts