Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so at the moment my bike is tuned to the choke being almost completely closed (while the choke nob by the cluster is all the way in. The fuel to air mixture screws under the carbs are currently set to one half a turn out. The bike idles at around 1.3k with no throttle lag, but runs pretty rich and gives poor fuel economy close to 12mpg. Any attempts to tuning the carbs, or choke only seems to give more issues like increased throttle lag, really dark exhaust (being to rich I assume), idling to high or low, or just dies when I throttle even the slightest bit. I took apart the carbs and cleaned them with carb cleaner nothing seemed to be damaged, although it was pretty dirty.

At the current tuning as I previously mentioned, I am getting real poor fuel mileage but also the bikes power dies when running in between 5k - 6k rpm and the power kicks in right after or before that range.

So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the issue might be

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Did you disassemble the carbs completely? That means all emulsion tubes below the jets, the vacuum slides, the ACV valves, and all other removable parts. If you didn't do this, you probably still have crud inside some internal passages in the carbs. Take them apart again, use a ultrasonic cleaner or carb soak cleaner and insure that all passage ways are open. I would advise getting Larry's carb book if you haven't done this before.

These carbs are very sensitive to dirt and grime on the inside. Is is almost normal to clean them completely 3 times before they start to work properly.

Your fuel mileage is so far from the normal appox 45 MPG that these bikes get that there has to be something wrong in the carbs.

Also check that the jets are in the right towers (larger # in brass hex fitting), the floats are adjusted to the right height (15.5 mm), and that there are no air leaks from the cylinder head back thru the carbs to the air box.

There are many previous posts on how to do these things, read a couple of dozen back threads on carb cleaning and you will get a good idea of what to look for.

Also add your location to your profile page and your bike's model to your signature line in your profile setup. Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So happens you live in the same city as the author of said book, Larry (LRCXed here on the board). I'm sure he will be glad to get you some help in one form or another.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, So I drove my bike over to Larry's place and I am super lucky he lives so close. We rolled up into his garage and started it up and he realized it was running too rich. So getting right down to the main issue we tore the seat and tank off to get to the carburetors. Larry being the genius he is found many issues that was causing the carbs to not run right. We cleaned them up cleared out all the jet and oh yeah, when I did it myself a few days earlier (not knowing what I was doing) I didn't put the slides in right which was the reason I had it running so rich.

After syncing the carburetors Larry decided to check inside the cylinder heads, the parts were not adjusted right so he went right on to fixing those as well. Also he replaced my spark plug cables, which seemed really bad and was probably giving me issues. Then we looked into my air box and its was nasty, a mixture of oil an gunk and water in there we had to flush out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5523998418/

Then for the final thing we looked into the engine to check the cam chain / retensioner and of course that it broken and needs to be replaced soon. Its making my engine run real loud. Larry says its one of the loudest he has heard. :/ no good right?

So after putting everything back on I did a test run around his block and the bike has much more throttle response and power. It runs so much better now and I am super grateful to Larry. The guy is a genius ha ha. So all is good just got to get the parts and money for replacing the parts in my engine, if i get enough money soon I think I am going to try to rebuild the engine. But who knows.

·
Registered
967 Posts
These carbs are very sensitive to dirt and grime on the inside. Is is almost normal to clean them completely 3 times before they start to work properly.

Wow...is this everyone's collective experience? I was actually thinking of taking mine down again to just let em soak in the ultrasonic for a bit.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Wow...is this everyone's collective experience? I was actually thinking of taking mine down again to just let em soak in the ultrasonic for a bit.
or just move,lock stock and barrel to sacramento

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks like Sacremento may soon see an influx of people. I'm looking for houses in Larry's neighborhood right now before the price of real estate gets too high there.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
my brother lived there,but he had a bmw.i was there a few years ago.

rancho cordova.95670.do you know it Larry?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts