Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having an issue with a bike I got off a friend. I thought I had wired it up correctly, but apparently not when I hit the start button it turns the light on and off. It sounds like a simple fix but I can't find it out. It also has a new CDI starter from regulatorrectifier.com I don't know if that effects anything. Thank you

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lights are supposed to shut off when you press the starter button.
This gives the starter motor all the available voltage and amperage to crank the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was guessing so i tried to start it with gas and everything but nothing happens no sounds or anything, what else could be my problem?

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Hi, I am having an issue with a bike I got off a friend. I thought I had wired it up correctly, but apparently not when I hit the start button it turns the light on and off. It sounds like a simple fix but I can't find it out. It also has a new CDI starter from regulatorrectifier.com I don't know if that effects anything. Thank you
A little history might help. What wiring did you have to do? You say it has a new CDI starter. Starters are not specific to the type of ignition. Perhaps you mean stator? If it is a new stator did you put it in or was that done by a previous owner? How is the battery? Are you sure that the battery is fully charged? Another thing you might check are the grounding connections. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
mcash it might help if you include your location and bike information in your signature line. Click on settings tab on the forum banner then look on the left side of the screen for the edit signature link, click that and add the info to your signature.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar issue once. No start but the lights would dim. I thought it was the solenoid but turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch housing. Little sand paper and some dielectric grease was all it took.

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Even better would be a points file. Or are they becoming rare these days thanks to pointless ignition systems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys it turns out it was just bad ground connections I believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts