Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

So i recently purchased my first bike from a neighboring town for $400 around 6 or so months ago. It ran like a dream with good idle and would start up every time. Then about 3 months later, I began to have an intermittent sparking problem. I would put the key in and all the lights would come on, but I would crank and crank and nothing would happen. I would get frustrated and then walk away, and then come back and it would start up with no problem.

I left on vacation two weeks ago, and now that I came back and tried to start it, I get absolutely nothing. I checked the carbs, they were redone just a few years back and there is compression. I would take the plugs out in their boots and ground them to the engine to see no spark. So i started researching and problem solving and whatnot.

I took off the spark plug caps, which were corroded to oblivion, so i replaced them with these.

Still was receiving no spark from either cylinder. Next I replaced the coils with these.

Still no spark. I have checked my stator resistances and battery and starter system is perfectly fine. Which leaves the CDI box.

I found that my cdi box was replaced with an ignitech box a while ago, so I contacted people who knew more about it than me on facebook.
My ignitech box is buzzing lightly and seems to be getting good readings too...

I am at a completely loss at this point. Is there a no sparking safety feature I don't know about? Did I forget something? and help would be awesome.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
969 Posts
It might be a kill switch problem. Maybe try some contact cleaner spray on the switch and contacts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked the kill switch with a multi meter and even tried starting it unplugged and still nothing.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Try disconnecting the black wire with the white stripe from the ignitech(kill switch).

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Oops, missed that you already did that.

·
Registered
24,494 Posts
when you say you contacted people on facebook to help you with the ignitec

that leaves me with no faith

have you checked the main connector?

so have you measured the battery voltage at the ignitec conector?

have you tested the ground connetion

i woud try wiring the ignitec direct to the battery and give it a go before condemning it

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,451 Posts
Aren't those TI coils?
Looks to me like a typical CDI "pit bike" coil. The extra connector is just a ground. It can be wired to a ring terminal at the mount.

R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update after a day:

For those with no faith, I have been Facebook messenging with someone from motofaction that has been extremely helpful! I have also emailed ignitech, but still waiting on a reply (it is the holidays).

I have found that I have a good stator, good battery, starter and starter solenoid.

The ignitech still seems to be working. It has the working sound emitting from it.

I am beginning to believe it is a grounding issue, somehow the box is being grounded through somewhere. If I turn on my working killswitch, absolutely nothing changes about the situation.

Haven't had time to get better eyes on the bike than mine, but it seems to be the only test and check I can do next. Any suggestions let me know. Thanks for the support guys

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
To my untrained eye your plug wires look to be quite short. Are the plug caps still well attached?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I am trying the new coils again, and still nothing. I have directly connected the ignitech unit to the battery so the solenoid couldn't be the problem.

I would like to clarify once more, my killswitch is not only not on, but not plugged in... the problem is not my bikes handlebar killswitch.

He's a picture of the new coils that give me roughly the same resistances to the original ones

I shall try the hammer to the unit once more lol but no change

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
I can't see the tracer on the kill wire.

Can you verify for us that the black/white wire is plugged to the ignitechs green wire and the black wire to the ignitechs red?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The solid black wire is the running brake lights that the unit uses to power, as shown on the motofaction website ignitech install page.

The green ground wire is unplugged at the moment but also going to the correct grounding switch when installed. No foul play that I know about here.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Cool. Getting those wrong would certainly see you with no spark .... and it's been done before.

Have you tested the pickups per the stator test?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup. Good stator, battery, solenoid, ignition, coils, caps, and plugs

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
You may have a faulty ignitech. It happens.

No one with an ignitech equipped bike near you whose unit you could try for a few minutes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts