Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the cooling fan on my 1980 CX 500. The shop manual shows a screw in puller. Does anyone know the thread size and if screwing in a bolt to remove it would work?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
can you up date your signiture line,show your location and your bikes details

Fan puller bolt.

M14 x 1.5 about 2 inches long.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm trying to remove the cooling fan on my 1980 CX 500. The shop manual shows a screw in puller. Does anyone know the thread size and if screwing in a bolt to remove it would work?
yes m8,iv done it many times.its the only real way to get the fan off

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
You should be able to find that bolt at any decent hardware store, like ACE, that has metrics. The pitch is key, and make sure the thread end is flat so it sits flush against the cam shaft. Some have used front and or rear axles, but I know this can cause dire problems as the number of threads useable are few and the axles are tapered ends. I highly suggest against using them. I know my front didn't work at all. Not even close. The bolt I got was only a few bucks, and better that than ruining a perfectly good axle. I suppose in an on-the-road emergency, it's an option. I'd rather have a spare bolt in my tool kit though.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks, are you sure about the size 8mm. One of the other members says to use a M14x1.5 bolt
lmao....so sorry....m8...equals mate....im gonna get so much shit for that.

look at my post above for the correct size....friend

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
hint:

for extra thread - grind off the top of the threaded end so it is flat - then you will get an extra two threads in there - and less chance of stripping..

having said that - they come off pretty simply...make sure you put some antiseize on the shaft when you reinstall it....next removal should be a walk in the park..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sometimes you've got to give it a light tap once you've got a little tension on the bolt, should pop right off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes you've got to give it a light tap once you've got a little tension on the bolt, should pop right off.

I picked up a bolt at the hardware store and it worked perfect. Looking at the back of the fan there are 6 small cracks that go out from the aluminum hub to the center of each fan blade.The cracks end where the plastic becomes narrow. The cracks are about 3/8 in long. Have you guys seen cracks like that before or should I replace it before it takes out the radiator?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I would bet that 50% of the bikes on the road with a original fan have these cracks. When one is advising others as what to do, sometimes we just play it safe. Then if your new one goes, we don't get the blame.

So, should you replace it or not? This is what I would do, not necessarily the wisest course. I would screw the removal stud back in the fan and mount the bolt with it's head in a vise. Then try rocking the fan while observing the cracks. If you see any movement of the cracks, I would replace the fan. If you don't see any crack opening or closing, I would mix some thin industrial epoxy and flow that into the cracks. Let it set up and then keep a ear open for strange noises or vibration around the radiator.

I had a fan a couple of years ago that I could actually flex the center hub in the fan. I did the epoxy fix and made sure it flowed completely around the hub. Two years later, and probably 5000 miles, I have no problem with it. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would bet that 50% of the bikes on the road with a original fan have these cracks. When one is advising others as what to do, sometimes we just play it safe. Then if your new one goes, we don't get the blame.

So, should you replace it or not? This is what I would do, not necessarily the wisest course. I would screw the removal stud back in the fan and mount the bolt with it's head in a vise. Then try rocking the fan while observing the cracks. If you see any movement of the cracks, I would replace the fan. If you don't see any crack opening or closing, I would mix some thin industrial epoxy and flow that into the cracks. Let it set up and then keep a ear open for strange noises or vibration around the radiator.

I had a fan a couple of years ago that I could actually flex the center hub in the fan. I did the epoxy fix and made sure it flowed completely around the hub. Two years later, and probably 5000 miles, I have no problem with it. Your mileage may vary.

Ok, I will try epoxy but the cracks are really small hairline cracks. I don't think that epoxy will flow into the cracks but I will give it a shot. What do you think about drilling a small hole in the center of each crack then filling with epoxy? I would really like to just replace it if I could find a good one. Thanks

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt anything to drill a small hole in the middle of the crack, but I don't think that will do much good either if the cracks are really small. Better idea may be to drill a "relief" hole at the end of the crack. This will keep the crack from expanding. Tiny hole, like 1/16" diameter and maybe 3/8" deep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.