Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1377 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Here are a few up dated photos.
Edge.jpg

Question? Can I machine off the edge of this rim? I need to take it off so the rim will clear the dust guard on the drive assembly. Just wondering if I did so would it weaken the rim. The other side of the rim does not have this edge.

Spacing.jpg

Looking at the spacing of the rear wheel here in this photo you can see it is not centered. I may have to re-dish the wheel.

Wheels.jpg

Here are the two wheel centers, the stock one and one off a 1975 GL1000 they do infact have the same drive gear spline. But as you can see from above they do not fit with out the need of modifying them.

·
Registered
24,147 Posts
i just roll a new stainless steel dust ring and go over the rim way easier that modding the rim

there are some pics of one of my bikes on here froma years or so ago with this done

and you have to make a new distance collar to move the flange back into alignment that will also help center the wheel better

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love it. Thanks for posting this. I have a 1980 cx500 as well that i have been wanting to cafe... I'll be following closely and will probably have a ton of questions for you once i start mine.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Progress made. Sept 11a, 2013.jpg
Removed the windshield, rear rack, crash guard, now to removing of the air box and relocating the wiring.
Sept 11b, 2013.jpg
The more I remove the more questions that arise. I have a running list of parts to buy and have been getting lucky finding them on eBay. This bike has very low mileage but it has been a rough journey.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
001_new head.jpg 002_old Head.jpg
The original and the new head. The valve cover, exhaust and water pipe bolts,one on each attachment were messed up, a imperial bolt was forced into the hole, then a lot of silicone was used to try and make a good seal. So much silicone that it clogged the breather tube.

003.jpg 004.jpg

The new head cleaned, leveled and ready for installation.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
005.jpg
Notice anything wrong? He (seller) claimed he paid a shop 700 dollars to have the carbs adjusted and balance. Hmmmmm The carbs were a mess, not so much with corrosion and gunk, but worse stripped jets and reassemble errors oh and missing parts. I took the carbs apart, cleaned inspected and made a list of parts I need to find.

006.jpg

Here I was 1/2 way done, the carbs were soaked in a UltraSonic cleaner with SimpleyGreen for 2 hours. Wow so amazing, I borrowed the cleaner. Polishing was still needing to be done on the left carb.

006a.jpg

Just after I spent about 40 minutes getting the carbs level and square.

007.jpg 008.jpg

All finished, for now anyway. I put it all back together because I did not want to wait until I got the parts I need. And it is a good lesson for me to go all the way through it in one setting. I do very well if I can do a hard task in one setting when the memory is fresh. And now I have a working knowledge of the carbs so next time I go back in and replace all the wore or missing parts Larry's guide will completely make sense.

009.jpg

The amazing UltraSonic Cleaner.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I also started to work with the 1977 GoldWing 1000 spoked wheel swap. It is going well but need to have a spacer made to adapt the 47mm x 20mm bearings to the 15mm axel. Looked into getting 47mm x 15mm bearings but sadly that is not a size that is made.

This is my sizing diagram so far will make some more measurements before having it made. Unfortunately my skill and tool set does not allow me to make this myself.

I need to have the rim powder coated and have the rusted spokes replace so I took the wheel apart, which will also make it easier to handle while I make the wheel swap and rear brake adapter.

This is going to take more time than I originally thought, but enjoying every minute of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just got confirmation from Larry Cargill, that the missing parts from my carbs were put in the mail today! Yeah!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Parts I have been collecting for the build.

BigPicture_zpsa216ce61.jpg
Learning the bike and figuring out the best way to go about the build. I have been looking for and buying parts.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It is official I just sold the tank and side covers with the sale of these items and others. I broke even with the purchase of the bike.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
IMG_3970_zps946b9091.JPG
Started to remove the front end and wanted to label the wires, I know I could always look at the diagram but this is easier.

View attachment 109026
View attachment 109026
IMG_3974_zps528925aa.JPG
Removed.

IMG_3975_zpsf4a24e4b.JPG
Decided to go with the All Balls fork conversion. went in very easily. Except the old crown race that took a bit of time.

IMG_3976_zpsfdf1d446.JPG
With the help of my Dermel™ and a chisel it came off.

It fits!

The stock ignition switch will fit. Keeping the wiring that much simpler. Need to see if a locksmith can re-key my CBR600 gas cap to the stock key.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
IMG_4068_zps266efe8d.JPG
Dropped the engine tonight to have a look inside.

IMG_4079_zps6eba7a19.JPG
IMG_4077_zps5c07e2e4.JPG
UGH the sludge was not a happy sight

IMG_4087_zpsad234e17.JPG
But the flywheel does not look so good.

IMG_4082_zps55dfd1c2.JPG
The Stator looked slime/sludge free.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Another quick question. Is this the correct position of the shifter cam gear? It fell out while splitting the cases and never got a chance to look at how it lined up.

IMG_4088_zps60fecaee.JPG

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
My latest thinking it the stator wires coming out of the case were rotted and mostly missing this is where the water wicked in and the followed the wires down to the pulser stator. But that being said the bolts above the water pump were rusty. So I am going on the notion that all seals o-rings and gaskets just need to be replaced.

Just found these online and bought them.

eBay_zpsffebe1b0.jpg~original.jpeg

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Update: This weekend was a bust on the CX Cafe Racer. I had to unbury and organize my shop. It has been a real mess. My son and I are restoring a 1965 Vespa Sprint for him to ride to University, I had a 1965 Vespa 150 that needed an engine swap that has been sitting taking up room. So I cleaned and put my Vespa back together. Plus the CX is at an impasse I am waiting for parts from eBay, BikeBandit & Partzilla.

Hopefully I can get back to the build soon - so annoying waiting for parts. But that is part of this older bike game.

Cheers
Mike

21 - 40 of 1377 Posts