Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP I am a newbie and I am new to motorcycle repair. The bike starts fine but when I accelerate it's like it chokes out. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Some more detail would help. Does it need choke to start ? Does it run differently with the choke pulled vs open? Have you done any basic tuning on it yet (valve adjust, cam chain adjust, etc.) If you haven't found one yet, get yourself a manual, that will make things easier for you and for everybody else here to help you. Don't worry, pretty much any problem you have somebody on here can solve, just give as much info as you can to help. Welcome to the group!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more detail would help. Does it need choke to start ? Does it run differently with the choke pulled vs open? Have you done any basic tuning on it yet (valve adjust, cam chain adjust, etc.) If you haven't found one yet, get yourself a manual, that will make things easier for you and for everybody else here to help you. Don't worry, pretty much any problem you have somebody on here can solve, just give as much info as you can to help. Welcome to the group!

I changed the fuel line about a week ago and it ran but rough and did the choke out thing. I had the carbs rebuilt a couple of years ago and that didnt solve the problem but the guy that did it was questionable with hondas. When I start it it idles but when I give it gas it stutters. I checked the air filter and cleaned it. On the left carb under the float bowl there seems to be grease or a light oil by the screw there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the fuel line about a week ago and it ran but rough and did the choke out thing. I had the carbs rebuilt a couple of years ago and that didnt solve the problem but the guy that did it was questionable with hondas. When I start it it idles but when I give it gas it stutters. I checked the air filter and cleaned it. On the left carb under the float bowl there seems to be grease or a light oil by the screw there.

I didnt touch the engine yet. The choke doesnt affect it at all I can start it without the choke but sometimes I need it to start

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I pull the choke out while driving it still stutters and backfires. When I am in neutral in the driveway and give it gas it will not go past 6000 rpm then it chokes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts