Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

first post here, new owner.

the PO installed new intake manifolds, I’ve figured out rather quickly that he used a cx500 set so my carbs won’t seat and stay. I can’t find anyone that sells them besides eBay and a set won’t cost almost a 1/3 of what I paid for the bike! Anyone know of a site to order them or anyone wanna sell some?

thanks all, glad there’s a forum that is so bike specific!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet...thank you! Hopefully it works...I can’t find any and I don’t know how long my broke down bike can hang in my buddies garage :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The bike in your avatar doesn't look like a GL500, the GL500 wasn't introduced until 1981.

·
Super Moderator
12,778 Posts
It doesn't look like a GL to me either. A bigger pic might help us figure out what you actually have and might even let us help you solve the problem.
Ooh! I just learned something about the new forum software: When you click someone's avatar pic it takes you to their profile and if you click the pic there it opens the pic full sized, which means that if the pic they uploaded is bigger than the former maximum.....

https://www.cx500forum.com/d1/avatars/o/51/51319.jpg?1581562392

That is definitely a CX500 frame, tank & wheels and I think it has CX carbs (GL500 carbs are closer together). The engine says "GL500" but that could mean that the engine has been replaced (or possibly just the nameplates). Or that it started life as a Japanese home market model which is for all intents & purposes the same as a CX500. In any case, if it has CX500 carbs CX500 manifolds should be correct for it.

I've never used pod filters so someone who has please correct me if I'm wrong about this:
I suspect that the problem may arise from replacing the original airbox with pod filters. In the original setup the carbs were supported at the front by the manifolds and at the rear by the boot that attached them to the airbox. You may need to add some sort of support for the back of the carbs if you want to continue using the pods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll be taking better pics for MurrayF to look at as well. I’ll put the. Up. Any and all help is super appreciated. It seems I have a Frankenstein bike on my hands as no one is quite sure what it is😂

·
Super Moderator
12,778 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe someone on the forum lives near you and can look at it for you...

BTW: It is a good idea to add your location to your profile for things like that and your bike's model and model year (once you know for sure what you have) to your signature so you don't have to remember to telling us every time you ask something.

As for it being a frankenbike, all I can say is that 40 years is a long time...
And that mine had parts from 13 different bikes when I put it together in 2006 and has parts from at least half a dozen more now, not counting new non original bits & pieces made for other models and the sidecar. The trick is in knowing what you actually have so that you can get the replacement parts that fit it. I keep a written maintenance log so that I can refer back to figure out what I've done over the years (you can read about it in the Never Ending Build thread linked in my signature); I'd recommend that you do the same starting with what actually have once you figure it out.

I also recommend going to the CX Wiki (link in my signature), downloading the appropriate Factory Shop Manuals for what you have and going through everything, starting with all of the service procedures, no matter whether it has reached the recommended mileage as well as checking the tire date codes (should be replaced at 5 years no matter how good they look & feel - old rubber just can't flow around the irregularities in the road well enough to grip when leaned over, especially if the road is cold or damp). It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it might have the original rubber brake line, which should have been replaced every 2-3 fluid changes (5-6 years); If so a modern stainless braided line should probably be high on your shopping list.

And since it has been modified it wouldn't be a bad idea to find someone knowledgeable to look it over and see if there are any obvious problems (we've seen cases of bikes put together by so-called "professional builders" that were unsafe and had to be pretty much rebuilt to become usable). I know I would want to add fenders before I rode it much if only to keep stuff thrown up by the tires from stripping the paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you man. My first post in this group and I can already see an amazing willingness to help and plethora of knowledge. I’m also a classic VW guy which has the same feel to it’s enthusiasts. So I’m looking forward to lots of reading, research and lessons!

MurrayF is helping me out with the intakes manifolds, which is a huge relief.

the brake line is steel, it just came with lots of overspray on it. Not sure how old so next flush I’ll change it anyway.

the tires just hit 4 years, I’m changing them soon anyway, I’m a pretty aggressive rider. I normally lead a bunch of sport bike guys on a heavily built up 950lb harley😂

My buddy Sevan who is an awesome bike mechanic and specializes in old Japanese bikes is going to come check it out soon and probably due some fine tuning on the carbs.

Im really psyched on this bike and I’m glad to see I can get help so easily on here.

thanks again all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts