Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, putting together a cx500 that has not run in 3 years. Ran all new electrical, have spark from plugs - checked by pulling plugs and putting them on heads, gas in carbs - check bowl level with clear tube, tried spraying starting fluid in carb - removed air pods to do, carbs cleaned and new main jets put in, new battery. The battery is a small battery that is a 12v 5amp. Is the amp rating too small? What else have I missed? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
How is it not starting? Is it cranking?

If you want to know for sure this second if it's the battery hook up jumper cables to a non running vehicle and if it's the battery the bike should start right up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would suspect you don't have the cranking amps to turn the motor fast enough.

have you checked the stator for correct resistance

how bright/strong is the spark at the plugs?

did you set the valves for proper clearances

trying some stater fluid sprayed directly into the carb throats while cranking, can cause a backfire - take care...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is it not starting? Is it cranking?

If you want to know for sure this second if it's the battery hook up jumper cables to a non running vehicle and if it's the battery the bike should start right up.

It wants to turn over bad, just not firing. Gonna put it on a jump box tomorrow. Hope it works.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suspect you don't have the cranking amps to turn the motor fast enough.

have you checked the stator for correct resistance

how bright/strong is the spark at the plugs?

did you set the valves for proper clearances

trying some stater fluid sprayed directly into the carb throats while cranking, can cause a backfire - take care...

Haven't checked the stator yet. I think the problem might be the CCA as well. Hope to see tomorrow morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up changing the plugs and buying a new battery. She fired right up. The battery I just bought is a 12v 5amp. Its half the size of the stock battery but twice the size I want it to be. Gonna have to make new mounts and modify more under the seat.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ended up changing the plugs and buying a new battery. She fired right up. The battery I just bought is a 12v 5amp. Its half the size of the stock battery but twice the size I want it to be. Gonna have to make new mounts and modify more under the seat.
hell or high water,if nothing else works correct....our bikes need a good battery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts