Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Help,

Does anyone know what muffler would be interchangeable with a 1979 cx500 c. I looked online and all I can find are 2 into 1 megaphone.

Harley Dyna... seriously!

You can get them real cheap on ebay, and they will make the bike sound great!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Many have used Harley mufflers as a replacement.

Search the forum. I bought a pair of these. Harley muffler 65747-94 on E-pay, they should be had for $25-30 + shipping or your local Harley shop might have some used ones cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help,

Does anyone know what muffler would be interchangeable with a 1979 cx500 c. I looked online and all I can find are 2 into 1 megaphone.
Mufflers from a 1200 sportster will fit, the cross over hole in the right one has to be closed, i welded a patch into it. They are slightly longer than cx500 mufflers and you loose one mounting point, but both kickstands still work. THe sound is good, especially on hard acceleration.... Im not sure if performance is changed, it seemed to me that low end torque was slightly less but high end performance improved. Two years on cx500 custom without any problems. Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mufflers from a 1200 sportster will fit, the cross over hole in the right one has to be closed, i welded a patch into it. They are slightly longer than cx500 mufflers and you loose one mounting point, but both kickstands still work. THe sound is good, especially on hard acceleration.... Im not sure if performance is changed, it seemed to me that low end torque was slightly less but high end performance improved. Two years on cx500 custom without any problems. Good luck
Did you have to re jet with these?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I have not installed them yet, but if you search the forum you will find info from those who have. It appears that they will fit in the H box using exhaust tape or permatex sealer and one of the hanger bolt holes on my deluxe looks like it will line right up to the bracket on the muffler.See this post.

http://globalcxglvtw....php?f=17&t=543

That link is dead,try this one,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=543&p=2760&hilit=harley#p2760

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I have those exact same mufflers on mine.

I used the stock hanger brackets and simply removed the fiber spacer from the H box. These fit very snugly into it and clamp tight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys I found a pair of harley pipes. 65842-07 mufflers. Attaching them seems straightforward with a piece of flat bar and a couple of holes. my questions is, when I pulled the old muffler off the main baffle goes straight through.I can see light, with the harley mufflers I cannot see straight through. Will this cause a problem with jetting? Also there was a fiber filament inside the h box with the new muffler should I wrap the inserted end with muffler tape? If so any suggestions? Thanks gents, I'm getting there now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys I found a pair of harley pipes. 65842-07 mufflers. Attaching them seems straightforward with a piece of flat bar and a couple of holes. my questions is, when I pulled the old muffler off the main baffle goes straight through.I can see light, with the harley mufflers I cannot see straight through. Will this cause a problem with jetting? Also there was a fiber filament inside the h box with the new muffler should I wrap the inserted end with muffler tape? If so any suggestions? Thanks gents, I'm getting there now.
Put the mufflers on today. Man it sounds great just like a honda with harley mufflers, go figure. It was easy they slipped right in like ocr said, Made a template via sheps advice and man what a diffrence. The power is crazy for a 500. This bike is running like brand new. Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put a set of sportster mufflers on my 1980 CX500 last summer, no rejetting, just changed them and they work & sound great. Paid $20 for the set, super deal! Kept the old original set...not sure why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a set of sportster mufflers on my 1980 CX500 last summer, no rejetting, just changed them and they work & sound great. Paid $20 for the set, super deal! Kept the old original set...not sure why.
I know this is an old thread but I was looking and looking on how to have a quick improve of the sound of my CX500 and ended up at this forum which has references to Harley sportster mufflers like you. I got some old harley mufflers from the 90s for 40 dollars and they are great! What a great feeling riding that bike now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.