Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well how do, first project post. Live in County Durham in North East England, always wanted a CX500 for some reason. I think its just the way the cylinders are.

Anyway, come covid lockdown, browsing facebook marketplace and came across this for just over £500

Anyway, despite the lockdown, the bloke wasnt bothered about delivering it 30miles for £20 for me so there you go, owner of a 1979(ish) cx500.

As you can see, its been half-cafe racered. Its not been on the road for 10 years and I'm guessing the guy I bought it off wasnt the person that started it and did most the work.

So anyway, initial issues, the bike is pretty sorted from the fuel tank backwards, it does run and the rear end is sorted, powdercoated etc.

The front end is a mess of wire and non-rebuilt forks and brakes so started stripping that down.

The wiring is a mess, I intend to keep the engine-side of the loom and bin the rest. Quite enjoy auto electrics unlike alot.

Its getting 'un-cafed' and I plan on doing something more tracker/scrambler ish. Nothing against cafe racers, just the bar setup and ride position isn't for me.

Cheap chinese chrome stuff is getting binned, and replaced with black, keeping the wheels and engine silver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So initial faults, battery is toast as it isn't AGM and its been lying on its side :rolleyes:, and the headlight is a horrid chinese plastic chrome jobby, so cut that off to start.

The clutch cable bracket is snapped off, so need to think of a fix for that

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had it about a week now and have took the front end off for assessment and refurb. The headstock and bearings are fine so those have gone straight back on. Rest is off

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've dismantled the forks and front brakes, took to the powder coaters and the idiots have blasted the inside of the calipers :eek: , but to be fair the seal channels didnt look too great. Refurb kit is ordered,Ive cleaned them up as best I can to bring back a machined apperance. If they work and dont leak, great if not then I have a spare set of calipers for rebuild off ebay for £20 coming. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Despite the lockdown, 1 powdercoaters locally is open, despite the caliper error, they didnt touch the inside of the forks luckily. Ive cleaned the fork seal walls up, 1 needed a bit JB Weld to hide a nasty nick, but otherwise OK, awaiting seals in post. 24hour turnaround, despite the cailper error Im happy. If these are toast when I try the seals, I'll just paint the next refurb caliper piston halfs. Ive re-reamed the caliper slider bolt holes to a mirror finish and the top of the fork legs after the blasting. Lesson learnt there with coaters, tape the stuff up yourself. Just need to take the coating off the axle places. The fork drain holes I covered.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My spare engine, which I am currently rebuilding has damage to the clutch cable post, it has been repaired with a steel plate and is not very pretty, but works ok.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
So initial faults, battery is toast as it isn't AGM and its been lying on its side :rolleyes:, and the headlight is a horrid chinese plastic chrome jobby, so cut that off to start.

The clutch cable bracket is snapped off, so need to think of a fix for that

View attachment 200222
The cable holder on my '78 looks like that. I hammered a sheet metal cover for that side, and tapped a hole to secure it. There are some pictures on here somewhere.

Randall

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here is the repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Here is the repair.
Mine is broken on the outside, like Webbb's, so I mounted my patch on the side.

I might have another that's missing both sides. In a case like that, yours is a good solution.

Randall

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well forks back together and leak free luckily, just awaiting gaiters before I put the front end back together. Some pitting but luckily non in the travel area. Soon be onto front brakes. Need to order rebuild kits. If the piston seal groove is shot, Ive got a spare set of calipers, Ill see if there any better if the powder coated ones leak. Got a new brake lever/master cylinder as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts