Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So obviously I've done something wrong if I am having to type the title above.

1 month ago my basically stock CDI bike had none working pickups and stator, but ran decently enough for me to ride it a bunch. The bike has been this way for a whole year, still ridable even though nothing in the charging system was working. I could still go 90mph at certain times. Bike still made decent power. Obvsiouly once the battery started dying after a long day of riding I would have to bump start. Other than this the bike had no issues. Low miles and really clean engine internally.

So in april I bought Murray's carbs and ordered a raesan unit to take this bike to the next level. The raesan took a 3 weeks to ship so I went ahead and installed the Mikuni carbs and the bike still ran great. Rode it for a solid 2 weeks. Sure I wasn't getting full power because the charging system didn't work, but it was still completely fine for a rip around town.

Last week I dropped the engine, pulled the old g47 stator and pickups, installed a g8 stator and the raesan unit with no issues at all. A pretty easy install. I set the timing buy following the motofraction video and raesan's install instructions.

Put everything back together yesterday and rolled the bike out of the shop to start it...it started but I instantly new something was wrong. It wouldn't run unless the choke was on and wouldn't rev. Ran like total crap. BUT....a multimeter showed that the battery was between 13.3 and 13.9 volts at idle. So I'm pretty the raesan is doing its job. The bike never charged at all before and would run fine.

So I am completely stumped at what could be wrong. At this point I am willing to do whatever to get this bike going. I have so much invested and do not want to give up now. I live in Knoxville, TN and would be more than willing to pay someone who knows what they are doing to give me hand. I would be more than happy to haul it within a few hours of me if anyone is close. I know I've made a mistake somewhere because this setup should be pretty solid.

Thanks to anyone who responds with advice! You guys are the best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you change the settings on the carbs at all?
No, not at all. Only turned up the idle slightly when I first put them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resolved. Pro tip: make sure all your bullet connectors are fully seated. My right side wasn’t firing because I left the yellow wire coming out of the raesan unit unplugged to the right coil. Runs like a charm now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: murph the kerf
1 - 5 of 5 Posts