Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You should never hear a click from the solenoid when you turn the key. If you do there is something terribly wrong with your Start button.

Assuming you meant that you hear a click when you push the Start button, what condition is the battery in? It may have enough power to operate the solenoid but not to make the starter motor turn the engine. After sitting for 2 years I would not be at all surprised if the battery will no longer hold a charge.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature), And welcome to the world of antique vehicles. Your bike has had at least 35 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary for it to be safe & reliable. Go to the CX WIki (link in my signature) and download the appropriate Factory Shop Manual for your model and before you drive the bike anywhere go through every maintenance procedure, whether or not your bike has reached the recommended mileage. Also, look closely at every rubber part: Check the date codes on the tires and don't use them if they are more than 5 years old (they may look good but they won't grip as well as they should, especially if the road is wet or cool). It still has a rubber brake line (which is probably original); They are supposed to be replaced every 2-3 fluid changes (5-6 years) so it is way overdue (modern stainless braided lines last practically forever and easily double the life of the fluid).
Thanks, it was definitely a few issues, and I will be replacing all the brakes and going through all the necessary maintenance now that I have ensured the bike runs at all. Ill be doing radiator and oil first and replacing the lines once i replace the front end

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did this last night, just poured a bit in honestly and than cranked it a few times to get it in there good, before hand my compression was 120 left and 151 on the right, may end up doing a valve rebuild if it doesn't improve on the left, bike runs good so idk if I need to anyways, btw, Bought the MOSFET that was suggested by murray, its the 50 dollar one on ebay it was this link that he posted and said he bought it from there now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-Mosfet-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-Upgrade-Kit-For-Shindengen-FH020AA/351838366111?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D53470%26meid%3D8960b0c9893448ebb9d6004a9fbc833b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D351838366111%26itm%3D351838366111&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A4b37a962-9a6a-11e8-b070-74dbd18083d2%7Cparentrq%3A158272fc1650a9945aed857efffe1e95%7Ciid%3A1

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bought a whole gsxr frame just for the front end, got it for 275, to date I've made 600 back on it and hopefully a couple hundred more soon. Also got the biked registered in Vermont since it came without a title. I'll keep updating on here as I go along

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also on a side note, should I replace this rim, was gonna take it to a dhop to look but may as well ask here too. Last guy took the engine for a modified and didn't care about the rim so it rolled around on concrete

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Awesome, was hoping I could reuse it. Going to try and use as much as possible from the gsxr, including controls, ignition seems like a bit of a hassle though.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
I seriously doubt that you could use either the ignition or the keyswitch from the GSX-R on your CX. The actual ignition (coils, ignition electronics &c) from the GSX-R is made for a 4 cylinder engine and will have different timing requirements &c (not to mention that earlier model coils need to fire 2 plugs to work)(the later coil on plug ones might be interesting to try if they are compatible with CX CDI, though). The keyswitch probably doesn't have the facility to short the kill wire to ground as your CDI ignition requires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Haven't been on here in a while, been moving and In Schools for the Army. Finally got back to the CX and started tearing down, extremely surprised at the condition of the bike other than it being pretty dirty. Radiator and fan look like they are brand new but I'm pretty sure the radiator fluid is original from 1979. I have the GSXR front ready to go on but sent the triple to cognito Moto for stem. I don't plan on doing any cutting on the frame. I replaced the standard shocks with 360mm RFY shocks (to see if I can rework them). I'm putting in a hoist this next week and than I'll be able to pull the engine and lift the frame while i remove all the paint and rust and prep for repaint

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hello All, Im thinking I may need to move this too the build thread but not sure yet as who knows how long ill have time to work on the bike.

Ive been on quarantine for the 3rd time now (14 Days each time). In the Army once your exposed to someone with COVID-19 you are on automatic 14 day Quarantine with at least 1 maybe 2 COVID tests..... So I have alot of free time now.

Ive taken the bike almost all the way apart. About a week ago I went through the wiring Diagram and made Labels from Mr. Label. Super helpful to make sure I dont forget where everything goes. I was super worried about that so this helped alot with my anxiety.

Next I took off the front end and and sent my GSXR Lower triple to Cognito Moto for GSXR Stem. I could have done it myself but because of COVID all the military Hobby shops are closed or on different schedules. This and Id rather just pay a little and get it done correctly. They are going to be pushing on my lower All Balls Bearings as well. Ill have to remove some metal to make the upper triple fit but thats fine as ill also need to do the steering stops.

Now that Im waiting for that I finally got a tire on the GSXR front end but as I suspected the rim doesnt seem to be holding air. So Ill need a new front rim sadly ( I was hoping I could save a little money on that but thats ok)

Next i decided I want to clean up the engine, its insanely dirty and covered in corrosion so I plan on painting it. Im degreasing it and cleaning with a brass brush. It seems like it needs some SERIOUS cleaning and maybe ill want to take it to the powder coaters and get it blasted as well. Anyone have any good advice on getting it blasted? I love the way they look at the end but just to paint it afterwards seems a waste.

Lastly im working with a powdercoater to get the frame, and any extra little parts coated.

Also I need to figure out the switches. I know its difficult because of how the CDI bikes use a different ignition for and the kill switch is the opposite of a normal bike. Not sure if I should try getting different controls or if I should just reuse what I have. Id love to use the GSXR Controls but ive been told that it will not work without extensive rewiring.

Im sure there is a bunch of things I missed but ill post some pictures and remember some stuff to add later.

Id hope to get some feedback on the pictures of the engine, Should it get blasted or should i juts clean it to the best of my ability and paint it with engine enamel.

Lastly, that little cart was the exact height of the engine off the ground with the front end on, so I just slid it under took off the bolts and rolled forward. Than I deadlifted it to the shop desk. Worked out super well

P.S. My dream bike (Wind 10) by Wrench n' Wheels in Portugal is for sale on Ebay. If only......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I hate that Tapatalk makes me upload 1 at a time and than doesn't even have the decency to upload in a decent format. Maybe 8 or 9 years ago I paid for Tapatalk, now I've gotta pay for VIP. It's BS. just thought I'd mention thah

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This stuff might be to strong for this but this takes EVERYTHING off. I used it to pull paint off a brick wall when remodeling. Have a whole jar left over

21 - 40 of 58 Posts