Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to the forum, just got a 87 cx500 custom yesterday with 4k original miles, bike is pristine, but has been sitting. Going to try to get it running in the next few days and clean her up a bit.

So everyone knows, when turning the key, I get a click from the aolenoid, so I'm thinking it's either the solenoid or the starter, I'll be jumping the solenoid to check next time I get a chance

Here she is, has been sitting for almost 2 years outside a literal barn haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks kinda like my '82 GL500 that hasn't been on the road since 2004.
Before trying to start, I put a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and cranked without the plugs in. Let it sit overnight. Made white smoke for about 15 minutes. Cleaned the tank dry. Mechanic in A Bottle in the gas. Used a Jump battery (Stanley PowerMax) because the big battery would charge, but wear down quickly. A new AGM battery is on the way.

https://www.facebook.com/togeika/videos/10155606016497057/

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
when turning the key, I get a click from the aolenoid, so I'm thinking it's either the solenoid or the starter, I'll be jumping the solenoid to check next time I get a chance
You should never hear a click from the solenoid when you turn the key. If you do there is something terribly wrong with your Start button.

Assuming you meant that you hear a click when you push the Start button, what condition is the battery in? It may have enough power to operate the solenoid but not to make the starter motor turn the engine. After sitting for 2 years I would not be at all surprised if the battery will no longer hold a charge.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature), And welcome to the world of antique vehicles. Your bike has had at least 35 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary for it to be safe & reliable. Go to the CX WIki (link in my signature) and download the appropriate Factory Shop Manual for your model and before you drive the bike anywhere go through every maintenance procedure, whether or not your bike has reached the recommended mileage. Also, look closely at every rubber part: Check the date codes on the tires and don't use them if they are more than 5 years old (they may look good but they won't grip as well as they should, especially if the road is wet or cool). It still has a rubber brake line (which is probably original); They are supposed to be replaced every 2-3 fluid changes (5-6 years) so it is way overdue (modern stainless braided lines last practically forever and easily double the life of the fluid).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that, I think your right it's a 1978, I'll double check that though, the battery is no good, however we tried a buddys battery and all my lights came on and everything works but when pressing the start to start it, I only get a click. Thought it was the solenoid.

The tank was still clean, but I'm gonna clean it again, gonna rebuild the carbs and was going to put some oil in the cylinder heads like you were saying

·
Super Moderator
3,764 Posts
You can get just a solenoid click, even with a good battery, if the connections are not clean and tight.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
Yep. And if you are connecting your buddy's battery with jumper cables the connection might not be good enough to carry that much current.

BTW: There is a plate on the left side of the steering head that should have the model year and date of manufacture as well as the VIN and some other useful info. You can barely see the back edge of it in your first pic.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
As soon as you determine the true year a Moderator can fix the title of the thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a 1979, confirmed on the vin. Found that it was actually the starter so I got a starter rebuild and fid that over the weekend, bike wanted to start but it seems the carbs (to be expected) needed a good cleaning, that and some new plugs should get her up and running. Once she's running I plan on full teardown and rebuild. Just ordered the compression tester. Will see how good it's looking and let yall know. Also, will be soda blasting the carb and other parts as they come off for cleaning. Checkout my new soda blasting cabinet.

Yeah a bit of rust but all the terminals look nice and overall the bike seems great just needs some tlc, than I'll begin the rebuild and modifications.

What do you guys suggest I do for rust / corrosion on the engine, I was planning on dropping the engine and doing a media blast of some sort than painting with duplicolor. Same with the frame. Will also be doing the cbr front end conversion at some point

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the bike running, I'm sure no one cares but I thought id update you guys, got a Ballistic Performance 8 Cell Evo2, and the MOSFET that was suggested, gonna be installing that this week. Also picked up a 33Gal compressor with 11.5CFM so I can start soda blasting the carb, and bead blasting engine/frame. Still looking for a good deal on a CBR front end

·
Super Moderator
3,764 Posts
It is always welcome when someone posts how they solved a particular problem. That increases the knowledge available on the forum. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is always welcome when someone posts how they solved a particular problem. That increases the knowledge available on the forum. Thanks for posting.
Initially i thought it was the solenoid, but after doing the solenoid test, I realized it was the starter, it was completely rusted inside so I took it apart, and rebuilt it, cleaned all the rust using 220 grit and emory cloth, than replaced the brushes. This still did not allow the bike to start so i removed the carbs cleaned them, I didnt need to rebuild them as it looks like the previous owner (however long ago) rebuilt the carbs, and like a responsible adult drained them before letting it sit. I will be cleaning them and fully rebuilding them later, but i wanted to rule them out. Next i replaced the spark plugs, was going to do the compression test, completely forgot my compression tester. After that she tried to start a few times and than started like she had been running for years, there was lag in the throttle response but I attribute this to no airbox at the time and still running stock jets. I did notice that the right carb was leaking so i need to rebuild the carbs and fix the float like i had suspected, but she was running and thats really all i wanted before I fully invested in this project, Now im all in. Ill post my progress in a build thread most likely in the near future. Not alot of time to work on the bike as I am remodeling also

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks kinda like my '82 GL500 that hasn't been on the road since 2004.
Before trying to start, I put a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and cranked without the plugs in. Let it sit overnight. Made white smoke for about 15 minutes. Cleaned the tank dry. Mechanic in A Bottle in the gas. Used a Jump battery (Stanley PowerMax) because the big battery would charge, but wear down quickly. A new AGM battery is on the way.

https://www.facebook.com/togeika/videos/10155606016497057/
Thanks for the idea, I bought the marvels mystery oil and will be doing this in the near future.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts