Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL BE PIC HEAVY.

So, finally time to start my second build thread.

This one will be a single seater cafe with hump seat. Airbox removed, h-box removed with straight through pipes and no side covers. It was meant for the wife, but I have decided to sell it after the build to fund the third CX500 build, and my latest acquisition, a 1975 Honda CB400 Four Supersport. My wife has to get her license first, and she has her little '71 Suzuki B120 to ride till she does.

Anyway, here are some pics of the frame work so far.

Cut the rear bits off and welded the holes. Then made a frame to take the seat.

Chassis Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Added a little filler piece to close the gap on the side. Not perfect, but it works.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Bicycle part

And now the seat will fit like so...

Furniture Chair Vehicle Bumper Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now for the electrical bits, I need some advice, although this is my second build, I am still a rookie when it comes to electrical work.

I want to put the CDi in it's original place.

I am building a battery box to mount under the engine, like many guys do.

Then my thoughts are to mount the rectifier under the seat, and possibly the starter solenoid too.

I know some guys have re-routed the electrics so here are my questions.

How far from the battery and starter can the solenoid and rectifier be. Should I perhaps mount the solenoid next to the battery and leave the rectifier under the seat.

Gas
Auto part Suspension
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the pic now I might lift the tank some more. All I need is a bigger spacer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Just make sure the rectifier can get some free air over the fins to keep it cool. The distance between components is not that critical on a vehicle as small as a motorcycle. Just use the original wire sizes and you should be fine. Remember, wiring is just one wire at a time. It helps me to draw out a large schematic before a project. With Honda color coded wiring, it is hard to screw up a stock system.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ron.

There will be more than enough free air under the open seat.

I will probably try and attach the solenoid closer to the starter and new battery box.

cheers

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with keeping one wire at a time. I'm just finishing up my build and did the electrics last, good diagrams in the wiki and color codes goes a long way if you're not going to do something crazy. I took the old connections and wired the new wires into the connections so that I still can separate the connections and replace it something broke. Also installed a rfid ignition and kill switch for lights.

Depending on how high your tank is lifted there might be some room under it for some electrics too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Lurvas, the wiring is good, it's just the placement of the solenoid that I am trying to figure out.

Frame and other parts at the powdercoaters now. Should get it by the end of next week and start assembly.

Then to start to put the motor together as soon as I get all my goodies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I built a battery box under the engine, if you choose your battery wisely there will be room for the solenoid as well.
This is how mine turned out, it bolts onto to places and uses a lip to fit on the engine. The solenoid is held in place so it won't move about.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't been here for a while.

I got a little further with my build. The frame is basically ready now. Only need to fit the headlight, do the wiring and do the front brakes.

Then I can start on the engine as soon as I get the parts.

I have not decided on the colour scheme yet, so please chime in if you have ideas.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had that same thought. Gun metal dark grey.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

But what about blue, similar to the CX500 Honda blue?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

or...

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do I. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looking good Leo! In a little over a month I get home so can get stuck into mine again. I got the clutch and gearbox in then ran out of time. I also discovered I can't find my torque wrench...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, I will never make my hobby my work, then it becomes work. I enjoy it too much.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's the truth! I did exactly that, now wish I could give it up.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.