Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new winter project, 1979 CX500.

All in all a great bike that I got for a great price.

Needs a new tank, which is a bummer because I really like the tank it had with the indentation, so that's first on the list.

Going to do a full engine breakdown, going to go with the monoshock mod, but with more of a nod to my last cafe build with the seat.

Redoing the entire wiring and using a motogadget setup.

I've been doing a lot of research and can't wait to get into this teardown and build up after I test a few things in stock form.

Since I just moved I will be focusing on finishing our new house first, then hopping into the bike in a few weeks.

I'll keep a journal here of everything I do, as well as look for any advice when I hit hurdles.

Excited to contribute to this forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just ordered a new carb kit from SpeedMotoCO, hoping to get these on and get the bike running for a while before I remove the engine

Also in talks w CognitoMoto to get a triple tree for a set of 2008 CBR1000RR forks I am looking at.

Planning to run the clubman bars that the bike came to me with, as I like the look and setup.

Ideally planning on keeping the stock controls to keep some vintage parts of the bike.

Also looking at repurposing the fuse holder. I'd like to put an M-Unit RFID chip in the current spot the lock cylinder is and have a shop CNC the fuse holder top to hold either a Motogadget LED Indicator setup or a motogadget motoscope mini, which I loved on my last K75 build.

I will be keeping one analogue gauge setup to keep with the vintage of the bike as well.

This bike was definitely in the wrong hands, so there's lots to do to get it back to a level playing field. Luckily it only had 19k on the clock and my first inspections of the engine are strong. Good compression, valves look good.

Can't wait to dive into the motor in a few weeks and get things sorted.

I will be going with a monoshock setup in the rear, wire wheels front and back with the rear brake rotor conversion.

Current dilema is my fuel tank.

The tank that came with the bike is dead, rusted from the inside out.

Kind of digging this tank, wondering your thoughts:

I did find a nice deluxe tank on eBay for about 400 + shipping, but would rather put that cash elsewhere at the moment.

Thanks for any insight and thoughts.

-Ian

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You are jumping in with both feet for sure but sounds like this isn’t your first time to the rodeo redoing bikes.

That tank looks cool but you won’t get very far with a little over 2 gallon capacity. If it’s a true cafe racer I guess that won’t matter.

Regards and looking forward to following the build.

Reactions: almostordinary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, excited to be here.

My last build that came out really well and sold too quickly was a 91 K75S.

This bike I plan on keeping and potentially getting into building a few more for some friends back home.

I really love the tank on the K bikes, they have an internal fuel pump, which I could bypass and I am likely looking to retrofit that same seat to this build.

First concern w the tanks, they're all so expensive to "test", I love the look of the 79 Deluxe tank with the groves in the sides, which will add to the build lines.

A very rough mockup of where I am looking to end up with this bike, this has a lower faring as well as the previous seat I loved on my last build.

This would be with a K-Series Tank, the tanks both adhere to the frame in the same position, but the "modern" lines of the tank makes me wince a bit compared to the cleanliness of the stock tank, which in my mind is perfect.

Looking to retain the side stand as well as stock controls/levers.

Lots to learn, I've been watching great YouTube accounts for the last 5months as I searched for the bike, so I have my head around the engine being the biggest time commitment for my build.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks, excited to be here.

My last build that came out really well and sold too quickly was a 91 K75S.
View attachment 203197

View attachment 203198

View attachment 203199

View attachment 203200

This bike I plan on keeping and potentially getting into building a few more for some friends back home.

I really love the tank on the K bikes, they have an internal fuel pump, which I could bypass and I am likely looking to retrofit that same seat to this build.

First concern w the tanks, they're all so expensive to "test", I love the look of the 79 Deluxe tank with the groves in the sides, which will add to the build lines.

A very rough mockup of where I am looking to end up with this bike, this has a lower faring as well as the previous seat I loved on my last build.

View attachment 203201

This would be with a K-Series Tank, the tanks both adhere to the frame in the same position, but the "modern" lines of the tank makes me wince a bit compared to the cleanliness of the stock tank, which in my mind is perfect.

View attachment 203202

Looking to retain the side stand as well as stock controls/levers.

Lots to learn, I've been watching great YouTube accounts for the last 5months as I searched for the bike, so I have my head around the engine being the biggest time commitment for my build.
Always liked the K's-Had a K100RS for 200000KM from new...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Current dilema is my fuel tank.

The tank that came with the bike is dead, rusted from the inside out.

Kind of digging this tank, wondering your thoughts:

View attachment 203195

I did find a nice deluxe tank on eBay for about 400 + shipping, but would rather put that cash elsewhere at the moment.

Thanks for any insight and thoughts.

-Ian
[/QUOTE]
Considered the other tanks the seller has??-Totally depends on the lines (visuals) you want-agree with D-fresh 2 gallons seems light on( small volume)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some searching I found a deluxe tank for sale from a YouTuber that I follow. Arranging delivery now.

With all of my builds, cars truck and bikes, I'd rather pay for quality and what I overall want now, than make concessions. Especially on something as visual as a tank. There are plenty of other places I can and will save, but this is not one of them..... unfortunately.

Someone should make replicas and sell them for 400$ new. It would be a gold mine.

Anyway back to research until a few more parts get in and I have time to wrench later this week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my Mikuni Carb Kit today in the mail and decided to document the first start.

May keep doing these types of videos as I am working on another vintage truck build that I am doing for charity with some friends in film, and we are likely going to film the entire thing. Should be some interesting people along for that build.

Anyway, super excited that she cranked up on the first start.

Now time for the monoshock conversion, getting the aesthetics together (redo front end and rear end), then tearing her down for reassembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after having a mint set of CBR1000RR forks fall through, craigslist seller disappeared... I decided to go the route of Yamaha R1 front forks.

After doing a lot of scouring on the net, these front ends are very plentiful and half price for comparable CBR front ends.

Got a pair of mint front calipers and bolts for a steal as well.

Also ordered the front stem from Cognito Motors.

Hoping everything gets in next week so I can start mocking up the front end. Should have my "new" deluxe tank in by then as well.

Next on the shopping list is the rear monoshock coversion kit, the rear rotor conversion, front and rear spoked whees, then on to body electronics (lithium battery, motogadget, motoscope mini, turn signals, etc).

Once I get everything mocked up, going into engine teardown.

I'll need to pace myself so I don't finish the bike mid winter and have to look at it for 4-5 months.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I wish i had that problem, I've looked at mine for 2 years and not made much progress! :cautious:

hopefully this fall/winter...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wish i had that problem, I've looked at mine for 2 years and not made much progress! :cautious:

hopefully this fall/winter...
Can sort of relate to that, on a recent clean/inventory found parts I bought 1-2years ago but yet unfitted....lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So had some wine last night and got to buying!

- Grabbed the K75/K100 Solo seat I had on my last build that I really liked.

Hoping to fab up a hoop to accept this, the litium battery, and all the elctronics.

- Grabbed the Monoshock "bobber" kit from Rejuve, going to angle it up more to work with a more straightline cafe look and work on additional bracing for the seatpan and electronics tray

Still searching for a good shock solution, so I'll be doing research on that today.

Hoping to get a rolling chasis locked in with the stock wheels in the next couple of months. Then hop into removing the engine.

I'll update once parts arrive in the coming weeks.

Super excited for this one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
that K solo seat has me thinking should have rebuilt my stock BMW with Krauser/Rickman type fairing and mild cafe treatment......but served me well for 20years....
no point in regrets tho...:oops:

Back on subject-I'm sure this CX project will be good- are you going spoke/wire wheels that allow a tubeless tire?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup going with the cognito wire fronts and rears, as well as the disc brake upgrade in the rear.

Tons coming this week, so hoping to have another video up to share my progress.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The K75 seat came in early.... really liking where this is going to go.

My "new" tank gets here Monday, but i'll likely use this junk tank for all mock up purposes.

Just need to dial in the angle of the tank and seat once I dock the frame for the monoshock conversion.

Great thing with this seat is that I can put all the electronics in the rear removable section from the bottom so it will be a nice clean rear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts