Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
How the f are you guys lifting these motors up to put on tables?

I am just waiting for a set of engine caps from Murrays so I can give this thing a good cleaning on the engine jack.

I am in pretty good shape but have zero clue how I'm going to lift this motor up to put on my table to work on it.

Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
hahaha, ok maybe I get the rad off, remove the oil and the antifreeze from the heads and man up! or get a neighbor's back and a 6 pack.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know other Hondas like my 750 had removable frame members so the engine cold be removed....but the weight was always an issue...3 man job without the block and tackle pictured above?
But back on topic....maybe the OP needs to think about future projects and if a universal lifter would be worthwhile (not the neighbor...)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I just asked my daughters boyfriend to help lift it, one person on each end. The last time i put one on the table i was on one end and my father in law and wife on the other end... Not too bad.

honda3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,633 Posts
I can get them up and down from the bench on my own by going from floor to my seat and from there to the bench and the reverse going down.

But my back's not great and I prefer to spare it.

A thing like that can put me in pain for days. These motors have 10 kg. on me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Totally get that, no use messing your back up.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,633 Posts
If I don't abuse it mostly it's good.

This sometimes leads me to forget it's bad.

So it dutifully reminds me.

I have several vertabrae fused at the base of my spine. Too many irrigation trenches, too much lift and carry.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
If you use a floor jack to remove the engine, lower it, roll it next to the bench, and raise the jack to full height. Now you only need to lift it the last half of the distance.
These engines do seem to be getting heavier as I get older, but I think the worst part is just getting a good grip on the thing.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I do as you said Randall and then put in the long frame bolts to use as a handle on both ends, with two fairly in shape people its not bad, kind of a "clean and jerk" type lift! LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Went with the moto-jack as high as she'll go and lifting w my knees. Wasn't too bad.

Did a little cleanup before I lifted her up, the Murray engine caps were a great buy.

All In this motor is pretty clean, has great compression.

Bike only had 14k on the clock.

Going to open her up in the next couple of weeks to check out the timing chain, valve clearance and replace a few gaskets as well as look at the triple bypass.

Contemplating keeping the stock cam driven fan, this is going to be a Florida bike and I don't want to risk anything going unexpected w/ a relay and an electric fan dying on my buddy that's buying it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I was very surprised how well this bike looked overall.

My other engine is a bit of another story and looks like it had some hard miles over it's time on the road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Man these builds are going slower than molasses.

The 80' build subframe is just about done. Hoping to get the motor apart in a couple weeks and give her a once over.

Ordering quite a bit then getting to work.

Got bored today and decided to put the '79 bike together (another R1 front end currently being sourced)

Been busy with my G55 build, doing an LS swap on a 1977 International Scout Traveler and a bit of work on my E63.

Should be able to go heads down after a couple of film projects in the coming weeks to really tackle these two builds are have more updates flowing.

Gotta get these bikes built in the next 3 months so I can get other projects going.... staying busy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
2007 BMW R1150.

Out of everything that's a challenge, right now my biggest headache is going to be rearsets for these two bikes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Think I found an elegant simple solution for the rearsets.

Just got a used set from a 2016 R6 that I will be doing a simple bracket as pictured below:

61 - 80 of 82 Posts