Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Following!
Until I came across your thread I had no clue about M-Unit existence. I'm nearly at wiring stage with my build and scared of massive bunch of wires, well, not anymore:)
Awesome build brother, keep it up!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks man!

Bought a second bike, and thinking of keeping the electronics on that one a bit more simple, reusing all the stock components if possible. The other build will have the full m-unit setup.

Wiring is always a bit of a headache, luckily these bikes are pretty basic esp w/o a fuel injection system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The tank and seat are not at their correct angle, but really happy I am taking this challenge on to make a more unique build.

front_forks.jpg
Very nice tank-bench-line. (y)

Unfortunately, such radical modifications with such extensive changes and welding on the frame are not possible in Germany.

...I will follow your built with interest. 🥂

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, can't wait to get the build underway!

Jut sold my other build that's not even disassembled.

So hopping on to the other build, then jumping back onto this one come January.

I'll keep the thread going with both builds.

Really excited to get the R1150 swingarm mated to the 79 CX.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Very nice tank-bench-line. (y)

Unfortunately, such radical modifications with such extensive changes and welding on the frame are not possible in Germany.

...I will follow your built with interest. 🥂
FWITW.....In Australia major frame modifications technically need an engineers certificate same with imports that are "unknown" to the local market...usually a few thousand dollars to get...assuming it passes...:confused:
A non-pass doesn't mean an unsafe design...it may just not tick the necessary boxes.....and needs to go back for modification

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow, i had no ideas other countries are so strict with modifications, we can drive/ride just about any PoS we want to here... LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok parts are finally flowing in for the second bike build.

About to pull the trigger this week on the Cognito Laced 17" wheel.

Looking to go the 4.25" rear, only saw one post on here with someone that has run that size (From 2013) All images and the original poster's thread is gone.

Wondering if the 4.25 will be too wide, or require a lot of modding on the 1980 Custom frame I am building on.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
89 Posts
check out the brickhouse builds on youtube/IG... he went with 140/70/17 on 4.25 wheel, with plenty of space.
I've followed his lead with the Tire/wheel combo but I haven't installed it yet. hoping to get to it this weekend, but we'll see how the rest of this week goes. ;-)

One thing to keep in mind is the delay on the hubs was ridiculously long. I think almost 90 days, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: almostordinary

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
NOOOOOOO!!! lol damn it.

And yea he and I have been chatting, actually bought a mint deluxe tank from him that he didn't want to butcher. With his recent IG post I think he's kicking himself for that one :)

I actually am about to buy a front wheel from Cognito, 3.5x17 36-spoke. Need to get the front R1 forks mocked up so I can position the tank and seat. Hoping I'm not on a 3mo waiting list.

My front stem took a while, so maybe everything is a bit slower w them. I'll ping them to get an ETA before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the Covid has impacted them somewhat. I ordered my during the month of May so that may have something to do with it. I do know that they run the hub machining in batches as well, so there might be some scheduling conflicts with more popular bike models.

they are pretty responsive, so a call can't hurt, but don't count on it be 100% accurate.

Just my experience, otherwise, the parts are excellent and worth every penny.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh yea the parts are amazing and everyone I follow has something of theirs on their builds.

I'll be likely going 3.5x16 36-spoke up front and 4.25x18 (or 17) 36-spoke with disc out back.

The second bike I'm building is for a childhood friend who's become massive in the art word back home, he's going to turn it into an art bike which will likely get more builds from his customers coming my way. So not making any concessions with this build.

My single swing arm bike is going to have to take a backseat for a couple months while I build this around the holidays.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As you can see in my build thread, I went with 36 spokes on 17s both front and rear, in black. Couldn't pull off the more exotic colors, but that is just me.

Good luck on the future work, I'm too busy to be able to work on a project bike more than a little bit a month

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well at the moment filming is a bit sparse in my industry, so I've got time.

I'm really liking the simplicity of the Sun rim. Thinking the 17 front and back is the best bet. And also going black, don't want the wheels to detract from the overall bike.

Hoping to make it uniquely subtle but stand out from the crowd.

Building a 72 Scout w a film buddy for charity down in Atlanta that we're kicking off in a few weeks, so keeping myself entertained w/ wrenching.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow, i had no ideas other countries are so strict with modifications, we can drive/ride just about any PoS we want to here... LOL
yup a rang up an "engineer" seeking a quote for a US import that seemed to have "lost" its import compliance documentation some time ago....was seeking a "ballpark" figure...but was hard to get solid estimate from that guy....$2000 to $3000 AUD not "unusual".
It was a stock Honda..but not one imported here for our market

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yup a rang up an "engineer" seeking a quote for a US import that seemed to have "lost" its import compliance documentation some time ago....was seeking a "ballpark" figure...but was hard to get solid estimate from that guy....$2000 to $3000 AUD not "unusual".
It was a stock Honda..but not one imported here for our market
Is that for safety reasons or just a racket?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
@bahn88 off topic, but I watch a lot of Mighty Car Mods, and it seems like they go through that a lot!

Even with older Japanese cars/bikes, especially w vintage motors that use asbestos.

I've only spent a month in Sydney and the surrounding area filming about a year ago, but hell I could imagine some of the ingenuity of vehicles if people were left to their vices, but 2k-3k for an "inspection", seems like a lucrative line of work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So... back on topic. Decided to put the rear wheel on, mainly based upon this thread.
Here are some pics, including how close my tire (140/70/17 Pirelli) comes to the swing arm. Plenty of space in my opinion. the 4.25 wheel works out fine. The previous wheel was stock with a 130/90 and I had to air it down to install. With the new tire/Wheel I have to remove the diff to install.

This gives a side view, may have to zoom in... there is about a thumb's width of space between the tire and swing arm. The tire rotates with no rubbing or issues in the front or top fender area.

This is a second close up, may show better.

And here is a third pic....I tried to get in as close as possible. Scale may be hard to discern here.

One thing I was not very happy was this.....

I had to clean this out and re-tap all of the threads. Some were not completely threaded and some still had swarf left inside the hole. Not happy.

·
Registered
24,319 Posts
when you get the mono shock kit from ollie you may want to contact me about swapping your intakes
the ones you have allow for the side covers to be reused and will make the carbs and air cleaners drag on the pedestal mount
i make a special set of intakes for the monoshock mount kit that sets the carbs at a wider angle to allow for the pedestal

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
@murrayf thanks, I thought I ordered the ones without the covers, was wondering why they were so close. Will ping you on that for sure once I get a few more things sorted.

@robotdog thanks for the pics! I reached out to Brickhouse Builds and he is actually running the 4.25x18 in the rear with a 140 in the rear with no issue, but I think I'd rather go the 17 with your setup.

Also go word from Cognito that wheels are 2-3 weeks out.

May actually take a break for some travel and order them up just before Christmas.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts