Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 Cafe Build - Clean and Mean

30K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  AZ_CX500 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first CX500, and my first cafe racer build. Feel free to ask me any questions about the bike and buld.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Spoke

Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Spoke

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Chopper

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Auto part Automotive exterior Muffler Fuel tank Fender

Here is the mounting plate that the fender and seat secure to.

Attachments

See less See more
1 15
#3 ·
Looks fine to me. The cables could be shortened but these bikes are never finished. I like that you kept the side covers and original air box. I don't like looking straight through a bike. The seat looks Moto Mucci inspired but addresses the dip in the frame quite well and is unique to your bike. I'd prefer to have a speedo and mirrors but that is just me. I like that you can still tell that this bike is a CX as some of the builds I have seen are unrecognizable apart from the engine.

To help members who may be looking to build a Cafe Racer how much did you spend on this project and how long did it take. Did you do the triple bypass and are there any mods you can tell us about ?
Did you have any problems/disasters during the build and more importantly how does it ride.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi bikebuilder!
Really really beautiful bike you did. That is one of my favorite cx500 ever seen. I have my project cx in the garage and I have couple of questions for you since I'm making something a little bit similar but I bet it will never be as cool as yours.

- Are those rear shock absorbers these David Silver Spares - Honda CX500B 1981 Shock absorber set ?
Or are they some shorter ones? What is the lenght of your rear shocks eye to eye?
And isn't that custom cx rear wheel? Yes it is. That maybe makes it look lower. But the shock eye to eye lenght would be nice to know :)

- I'm thinking of ordering one of those Vietnam made seats. Is yours one of those and if it is did you like the quality? And more important do you have any pictures how your seat is attached to frame? Did you have to cut off that piece of frame where original seat is attached? Or does this new seat use the same attachment?

- I also need to find rear fender for my project. What is that fender of yours? Looks like plastic but is it metal? And where did you attach it? I saw at the video where you attached it but do you have any pictures?

- Valve covers. I also think should I paint them black. But at the same time i'm wondering does the color really stay there and the rims? How much have you ridden with your bike since you have painted it? And is the paint still good?

- Are those original kind of mufflers just painted black? Or totally new mufflers? (I'm going to put 2-1 exhaust since I got one for free)

- I like how you wife/girlfriend support your project. She is drinking something in the video. Is it cola or beer? ;)
- I also like that guard dog :)

Just joking :) But hey thank you for your answers and pictures. It really is one of the coolest and meanest cx500 ever seen.

#8 ·
Hi - great that you posted your build here....a super job for an experienced builder, just fantastic that its your first....

I called you about your seat for Forum member Jalat and was supposed to text my email to you.....which I'll do next so we can stay in touch. I just got back from NW Wiscosnsin, kayaking the Bois Brule and have been out of reliable cell service.....but I did figure out the new phone while up there!

Victor

#13 ·
Glad you like the bike, handcoded. I was definitely very inspired by Dave Mucci's work. He set the bar very high, so that's what I aimed for. I mostly ride in the city, so I felt no need for a speedo or tach, but mirrors are definitely needed. I was just still deciding on what would look best. I love the look of the Sportsters that have the mirrors flipped to the bottom, but I doubt that would have cleared the tank. IT'S HUGE!

All and all, the project took about 6 months, mostly working on it in the evenings and on weekends. There were a lot of little things that I learned along the way, and of course, those slowed me down at times. For the most part things went smoothly. I did not do the triple bypass, but I figured I would revisit that down the road after I got to enjoy the bike for a while. I only put about 5 miles on the bike before selling it, so I can't really speak to how it rode. However, for the 5 miles I did put on it, I definitely got my fair share of turned heads.

Mods:
Freshly painted tank and side covers. Professional automotive-grade paintjob
Chopped and painted fenders
clubman style handlebars
Dime City cycles headlight brackets
Café-style tail light
painted white caliper
low-profile turn signals
eliminated instrument cluster
front forks rebuilt
new rear shocks
bike is lowered about 1 1/4" front and rear
new vintage style handlebar grips
stripped and polished handlebar clamp and gas tank lid
Stripped and painted wheels
custom-made café racer seat
Chopped and capped rear frame section
Wrapped exhaust header
Painted radiator- freshly flushed
Painted valve covers
New clutch cover gasket
new oil change/filter
Fresh brake fluid change
New front brake pad

#15 ·
Thanks a lot Thumper! Glad you like it. The dog stole the show, but that's usually the case. haha. I am building a CB360 right now with the same Storm Gray Metallic paint, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. If I would have kept the CX, I would definitely have painted the tank badge to give it some contrast. I think it is needed.

#17 ·
I love that seat. Do you have any info/pics on the build of it? Too many of the two seater seats have that large bump following the frame and I love that yours didn't, while keeping the original frame (minus the chopped off end). Any info on it would be great as I am trying to emulate something similar.

#19 ·
Hi keninbend!
I am not the original poster but I have similar seat on my cx500. It is ordered from same Vietnamese factory. Here are pictures. Don't mind the Finnish language :D (there is google translator at the right top corner of my blog)
Tuumaustauko: CX500 cafe racer satula tuli vietnamista - www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com
(click the picture to make it big)

It is good looking but I need to mod a little bit the motocycle frame to make it fit good. Now there is 2 inch space under the rear of the seat.
Some say the quality is poor but In my opinion this was made very good quality!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.