Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not really a find, I've been storing it in my barn for years, and it was being stored in another before mine for years as well. I was finally given the go ahead by my brother-in-law to get it going so I could ride it, since he realized he'll never do anything with it. So I decided to join up and see what I can find out.

Now what are the chances that this will run with simple tune-up stuff? The tank is rusty, and I can clean that with a swirl of muriatic acid mix, and I planned to flush all fluids and clean the carbs. It also needs a battery, so I'll be picking one up when possible. But after sitting for probably a decade, or close to it, what else is there a good chance I'll have to replace?

I've been doing some reading, and I've seen that if its been sitting any length of time it will probably need a water pump seal, and I guess they use some sort of special coolant? And not sure if its common, but if the coil ever goes out, that they are expensive or hard to find. I guess I'm just basically looking for some direction, or some articles or anything to give me an idea what I'm getting into.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Do you know why the bike was laid up to begin with?

There is often an underlying fault that caused the bike to be sidelined to begin with.

Likely causes with these bikes are the stator on either the charging or ignition windings {if CDI]

Add to your signature line the year and model of your bike and where you are so we can better help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know why the bike was laid up to begin with?

There is often an underlying fault that caused the bike to be sidelined to begin with.

Likely causes with these bikes are the stator on either the charging or ignition windings {if CDI]

Add to your signature line the year and model of your bike and where you are so we can better help you.

*facepalm* Dur. I had a whole thing typed up and I closed it the first time. I had the year in before but I forgot the second time. It's a 1979.

And you could be right. I have no real history on the bike, the only problem I know it had was that the front brake was locked up, which was one of the things I started to take apart to check out. I want to say I remember my brother-in-law saying he took it in trade for doing some work, so I wouldn't doubt it has some underlying problems.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
The locked up brake is most likely a symptom of sitting around so long and not a cause.

Whatever the original fault [if any] the people here will be able to help you pinpoint it and repair it, as well as the ravages of standing for years.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Get ready to spend money! Barn finds are great and not so great. Mine was with 688 miles on it. The guy bought it and let it sit at his warehouse. A lot of nasty things happened in that period of 16 years without starting and stale gas, which will be your worst enemy. Don't you assume you have to this and that. Take each part of the bike separatly and deal with the issues one at a time. Don't go out and buy a bunch of parts. You also have to use some common sense. If you change the front fork oil, change the seals too. They are cheap and you have to take most of the fork appart to dump the oil out. Have fun and don't get frusterated!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Definitely check out the thread up top and read the 'check list for a new bike' . You can pretty much guarantee brake work, the brake fluid probably isn't fluid anymore, mine was like fish eggs and jelly when I first got it. Depending on how bad it looks and how much time you want to spend it might be in your best interest to buy a brand new M/C brake lever unit instead of trying to revive your old one, and your caliper should definitely be taken apart and cleaned well, plus maybe think about spending the cash for a steel brake line. You're also without a doubt going to want new tires, even if your current tires have plenty of tread left they'll be hardened and unsafe from age. Post some pics when you have a chance and welcome to the group!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Use a spark plug socket, remove the little plate between the oil filter and clutch, and using that same socket rotate the nut inside clockwise. If it spins the engine you are miles ahead already. From there I would clean the carb (duh), check the electrical (the values/where to check and how to check are in the last few sections of the manual), replace air filter (will need it 100% of the time), replace oil filter (will need a new one every oil change, you can get sets of 4 for much cheaper on the bay), new brake pads couldn't hurt (replace final drive oil and brake fluid too), pull the tank and flush it (you can line it, but at a minimum flush it out with some CLR and water, then leave it in the sun with the cap open to evap the water), put in an inline filter for the gas lines.

That is where I would start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm going to get to working on it as much as I can as soon as I can, but I'll be working the next 4 days, so I won't have anything to report until atleast after Monday. So I'll report back ASAP, and thanks again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine has 2500 miles on it and has sat since '82 (according to the nephew or original owner that died). The engine wasn't seized and all fluids were drained and the front brake and cooling systems were dissassembled.

I've spent a total of 3 hours with it, didn't even put the rad back or clean the tank on it yet, cleaned carbs and varified it has spark then rigged up a temp fuel tank and tried to start her. She sputtered a few times then my the wife called with an errand she wanted done. Been on the back burner ever since for various reasons.

I'm confident my bike will run with minimal effort, yours should too! If it's seized it's just more work, if it's been stored inside it's likely not seized I mean mine sat for almost 30 years and turned over no prob.

I bought a parts bike too that I found cheap, I recommend it you have the space.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anything that involves rubber will be a good theme to look at closely, fork seals tires, break lines, internal rubber parts of carbs. A friendly thing to do to your engine after sitting dry for so long is pull the plugs and put some ATF into the cyl's and change the oil BEFORE you roll the engine at all. That way if there is any surface rust on the dry cyl walls it will at least ease it's pain a little. I would just clean the carbs and ride it up and down the drive a little to see where you are at with it. Make sure the clutch works and the Trans go through all gears. Then make a list of what want to go through and do it all. Or you could just change the tires and ride it once it is running and get stranded a lot and do a lot of work in people’s parking lots. I have taken both approaches. Man this went longer than I planed. Finger is tired now… will stop….

·
Registered
119 Posts
One thing I noticed on these bikes (although I'm sure its true on all bikes) is you cant hardly see in the tank at all for rust, since you only see the frame "hump" when you open the gas cap. I learned the hard way that even though my tank LOOKED clean in the little 1.5 square inches that I could see, there was actually quite a bit of rust somewhere in the tank that clogged up my filter and stalled the bike on the highway after about 300 miles of riding. Even though my bike has a ton of miles, it must have sat empty for a few years during some point in its life. Nothing that a $35 Kreem-ing wont fix (I hope!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I talked to my sister today, and I have some good news. It ran fine before it was parked. The bike was owned before by a friend of theirs, and he wanted them to be able to go on rides with them. They've been on 500+ mile road trips on this bike, and the only reason it was parked is because the friend moved to another part of the state and they had no reason to ride anymore. That man must have been very generous, I've never met anyone who would hand over a perfectly good motorcycle just so they could go with them.

Has me pretty excited to get to work on it

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Sounds like you have a winner there. Mine came from a garage where it sat for about 30 years (wife wouldnt let the guy ride it). I did strip it right down so I could paint the frame that was really rusty, rebuilt the carbs, caliper and put new tires on it. It didnt need much, but I was a lot of fun working on it.

Its too bad I didnt find this forum before I finished the bike, as there are some great people and idea's here. Had I known I would have given the mechanical seal a shot (all the reading I did on replacing it was horor stories, so i left the old one in).

This was my first bike, and because of it I actually went for my M test (guess I left it a bit late in life to learn how to ride lol). I had so much fun working on the bike I would love to do a few more (shhhh wife behind me lol).

Hope you have a lot of fun working on it, and hope all is well with all its big stuff :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I recommend replacing the rear brake shoes, even if they look brand new. My bike sat in a garage for 23 years before I got it. It had 7500 miles on it, the front calipers were seized up and I replaced the the pads and seals. The rear shoes looked like new and I left them in. Well I pulled the rear wheel to change the tire and one of the linings fell off. There was still a good 1/8 inch of lining, it just wasn't attached to anything. Mine are bonded linings, {I don't know if they all are} and the glue must get weak with age.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's not really a find, I've been storing it in my barn for years, and it was being stored in another before mine for years as well. I was finally given the go ahead by my brother-in-law to get it going so I could ride it, since he realized he'll never do anything with it. So I decided to join up and see what I can find out.

Now what are the chances that this will run with simple tune-up stuff? The tank is rusty, and I can clean that with a swirl of muriatic acid mix, and I planned to flush all fluids and clean the carbs. It also needs a battery, so I'll be picking one up when possible. But after sitting for probably a decade, or close to it, what else is there a good chance I'll have to replace?

I've been doing some reading, and I've seen that if its been sitting any length of time it will probably need a water pump seal, and I guess they use some sort of special coolant? And not sure if its common, but if the coil ever goes out, that they are expensive or hard to find. I guess I'm just basically looking for some direction, or some articles or anything to give me an idea what I'm getting into.
The coils are not that expensive. You can find a used one fairly easy. If the CDI ignition is bad you can buy an Ignitec Ignition system to replace the CDI. It is fairly inexpensive and very easy to install.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Big tip, if you need a part, look for it here in the buying selling area... Another tip, put your location in your profile info, don't need your address, just state or providence or whatever you may live in, I don't know if you live next door or in China, but I know the CX's like the back of my hand after stripping one and putting it back together and stripping another, at this point in 4 hours I can have your bike down to the frame if all goes fairly well... Also it's nice to have someone who knows how the bike runs in case you don't think it has the power or whatever. Also if you put your bike year and model in your signature info, then I'll know you have an 81 CX Custom, or a 78 GL, which are the same but completely different... Hell for all I can remember you might have a 650 on your hands, but I think I saw 81 CX, but I don't remember, and don't want to scroll to the top of the page to see what you said it was up there...

One thing that might be a good idea, might be a waste of time and some money, is cleaning the oil pickup located in the front cover. I didn't clean the one on the GL650 that I bought in pieces for $250, got her all together, went for a 5 mile ride, and fortunately made it almost home when the knock started and she stalled out, unfortunately I couldn't ride up hill the whole time because I live on a dead end at the top of a hill, took off the oil pan, which 650's have, 500's don't, and found the pickup was clogged, woulda been a 5 minute fix had I known it was set up like that I'd have done that first thing...

For oil, many here recommend Rotella 15W 40 DIESEL oil, doesn't have to be rotella, but the 15w40 diesel oil doesn't break down as quickly and I think it has some additive that helps your engine, I don't remember why I use it, I just remember people saying things that confused me which convinced me to use it... Well, that and mainly that so many people swear by it, and not people who know nothing, but people that know our bikes better than any mechanic does, unless he has one and he's a mechanic.....

Anyway, hopefully my ADD style rambling helped you some...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.