Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 1981 CX500 Custom. It's all pretty good, but I immediately added CX500 to my Craigslist app. Soon enough, and a 1979 CX500 Custom "parts bike" (or, more specifically a bike that "does run but I took the carbs off because they were so gummed up") showed up for a couple hundred bucks.

The first question: What is the compatibility of these two bikes? Are they worthy parts partners?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
As long as they are both customs everything is compatible.

Now with that said. There are some different parts like different forks that you cant just slide up in the others triple tree but if you had a whole 81 front end you could put it on a 79. For the most it's just minor parts that are different.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have an 80 and an 81, and almost all of it is compatible. If I were you, I'd jump on it for a couple hundred, that's what I got my parts bike for and it was sold before the thought really crossed my mind, guy said 1 running for 600, or another that might run for $800, so I instantly grabbed my money and counted out $800...

For one, it's nice having a spare set of rims, if the bearings are going out in 1 set, and you don't have time or money, swap them, if you have decent tires on each, and one isn't looking to good, swap em, if you get a new tire and don't want to take the wheel off your bike to have it changed, have it put on the other rim then swap them... Not to mention the chrome, one will be cleaner than the other, so swap them, the chances of your stator going out, and the other having a good one, possible, but not for sure, that's a huge benefit, the CDI on your bike goes out, the coils, the plug wires, you have an electrical issue, swap parts for diagnosing...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Although the gas tanks aren't a simple swap, the 81 is a vacuum operated petcock and anything pre-81 isn't, and has a different sized threading...

There's also the fact that what you don't use you can sell, I've gotten about $800 or so for my parts bike so far, and have a bunch of parts still, and I'm getting $150 for the frame with a title...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? How do you get insurance and plates? How do they know it isn't stolen???

They know it isn't stolen because of the registration and plate. If you have a title, it's slightly easier...and most bikes have when you buy them new, but most of the vintage bikes have lost their titles simply because they weren't legally necessary in NH. I have bought both of my bikes without titles and the process is that you have to call a police officer to visit your house. They fill out a form verifying that the VIN matches the VIN on the Bill of Sale. Then you bring the BOS and the form to the town clerk and they issue registration and plates. Might seem like a hassle but both times an officer has been at my house within an hour or two of the request (but then again, I live in a town of 2000).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.